iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts/opinions on Splitfire Log Splitters????

Started by Piston, November 15, 2009, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I'm bored at work and surfin' the net for reviews on log splitters.  I have always been pretty intrigued by the Supersplit but after searching around a bit on tractorbynet.com I came across another type.  Does anyone have any experience with a Splitfire Log Splitter? 

I currently have a homemade 3pt hitch splitter that is pretty slow due to my 8GPM flow on my tractor.  I have been thinking of ways I could build a dual acting two way log splitter to double production with the same GPM.  I don't really want to pay 3 grand or so for a supersplit (well not that I wouldn't) but if something cheaper comes close then I'm interested.  The Splitfire looks pretty interesting and I can see why it would really be able to produce a lot of firewood fairly quickly.  You can see how the splitter is movable and rides back and forth on the carriage.  Looks like they use a similar designed splitter head to the Supersplit (narrow.)

One thing I think I would like about the Splitfire vs. Supersplit (those names are too similar :)) is less moving parts, one less engine to maintain (for 3pt hitch), and it's not toooo fast to where I would cut my fingers off in one second! 

Do any of you have any experience with these?  I emailed the company for a price list but haven't heard back yet..
Here are some vids from their website (http://www.split-fire.com/index.html)

http://www.split-fire.com/video/290-4.wmv

http://www.split-fire.com/video/245.wmv
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

John Bartley

We sold these in my small engine shop (before I sold out and retired). We had sold a couple of other brands, but once we had a chance to sell these we didn't even try to sell anything else. As far as I'm concerned they are the best wood splitter in the consumer market place.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Warbird

I was going to say that I don't like it because it is a horizontal only splitter.  But then I saw that log lifter and have to say, that's pretty cool.  Kinda fancy and I wonder if it requires a lot more maintenance than a normal splitter?  Also, that 4 way splitter would probably bog down with some of the knotty and twisted spruce/birch we have up here.

How much do they usually go for?  I think I paid $1200 for my splitter from one of the box stores, 3 or 4 years ago.  It's a horizontal/vertical splitter but has only a single splitting wedge.  If I could trade up to one like you have linked to, I probably would.  :)

beenthere

Looks handy to have the two-way split. But I see too much "hurry, hurry - rush, rush" in the videos, that I translate to chopped off fingers. And is tiring (to me) from being stooped over and continually moving split pieces away or unsplit pieces into position. Appears there would be a strong tendancy to have someone run the ram controls which to me is "un-safe".

Maybe I'm too comfortable with the horizontal splitter that keeps up with me at the pace I don't mind going, where there is opportunity to straighten out the back while the ram pushes the piece into/through the wedge.

But, they fill a need in the whole realm of things.  8)

I don't care to work around the vertical/horizontal splitters, as the wheels/axles are in the way of standing up next to the splitter when horizontal. Again, just me liking the horizontal that I have.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Bartley

The one in the photo is a three point hitch model - set it at any height you like. This is a slow moving splitter that does twice as much work as others because it's double acting. Put aside any presumptions you may have. This is one that you need to try before you judge it. Even at twice the price of other splitters, all I ever had to do was lend one to a prospective buyer and they were hooked - it wasn't really fair.

cheers

John
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Warbird

I wonder if I can get a double splitting head for my splitter?

Magicman

Couldn't use it on my JD 1530 because the exhaust comes out of the rear of the tractor... :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Piston

I heard back from the supplier, they quoted just under $1,000 dollars for the base model 3pt hitch version.  For me, in MA, it would be 250 for shipping.....

I guess they have a dealer in NY and they are going to contact me, I just replied to they're email asking if I would still have to pay the shipping if I were to pick it up in NY. 

The next model up with the 4 way, is 1400 dollars, other than he 4 way and a larger splitting head, I don't really know what the difference is. 

The base stand alone unit is $2270. 

I think the price sounds plenty fair for the 3pt hitch base unit.  I think the jump to the 4 way head is a bit much, but maybe worth it on a case by case basis. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Stephen1

Hi Guys,  I just finished a week of splitting using the splitfire base model. I used it at home and split 3 bush cords  by myself. I would say it was the best splitter we have used at our sugarbush, as I took it there to split another 4 bush cords. There were 3 of us using it there.  The hydraulics were at the right height for us to stand and operate. They have sides to hold the wood as it is split, so you don't have keep bending over to pick up the pieces. I was able to split some pretty ugly knotty wood. It was also pretty efficient on the fuel also. if I was going to buy a splitter it would be the one.
I also saw a firewood supplier with one built into the bed of his trailer at the back, so as he split he could throw the wood into the trailer.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Paul_H

What is a bush cord? Is it more or less than a full cord?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

John Bartley

Quote from: Paul_H on November 16, 2009, 08:11:35 PM
What is a bush cord? Is it more or less than a full cord?

A bush cord is : 4' x 4' x 8'

A face cord (traditional) is 1/3 of a bush cord : 16" x 4' x 8'

Around here some firewood sellers will try to "modify" the definition of a face cord by putting a stick length in front of it and calling it a (for example) 14" face cord : 14" x 4' x 8' - it's just marketing - there's no such thing....

There are other measures : ricks etc. - not used around here.

cheers

John
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Paul_H

Thanks John,I had never heard the term before but I see it is the same as we call a cord in our area(4x4x8) and the face cord is the same too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Piston

Stephen,
Do you have any pics of that splitter in action?  Do you know which model you were using?  I'm wondering what your opinion is on the splitter compared to the vids I posted?  Did it work just like it shows in the video? 

With my 30hp tractor and I believe only 8-9GPM flow, they said it will have an 8 second cycle time, so basically 4 seconds per split, and thats for the smallest unit.  Sounds like you were using a self contained unit which is probably even faster?
-Matt

Tom Sawyer

If I was buying one, the Splitfire would be at the top of my list.  I borrowed one for a day's splitting a couple of years ago and was greatly impressed.

Tom

stonebroke

Quote from: Magicman on November 16, 2009, 04:08:50 PM
Couldn't use it on my JD 1530 because the exhaust comes out of the rear of the tractor... :'(
Had the same problem with my tractor, solved it by putting a metal bucket over the end of the exhaust pipe.

Stonebroke

Tom

Get a piece of flex tube and make it come out somewhere else.  :D

Magicman

Quote from: Tom on November 16, 2009, 11:59:04 PM
Get a piece of flex tube and make it come out somewhere else.  :D

Or just cut wood that doesn't need spliting...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Piston

Shipping from NY just went down to 125....this is getting hard to resist!
-Matt

Hilltop366

Quote from: Piston on November 16, 2009, 09:35:03 PM
Stephen,
D
With my 30hp tractor and I believe only 8-9GPM flow, they said it will have an 8 second cycle time, so basically 4 seconds per split, and thats for the smallest unit.

8-9 gpm at what engine speed?

I run my 3ph splitter @ 1500 rpm my tractor flow is rated @ 2600 rpm, not going to run it that fast to split wood.

My splitter (bought used) is cheap and slow..... so am I.

With that said the split fire looks nice.

Something else to think about.

Reddog

That was the reason I went with a splitter that had its own power.
I couldn't see running up that many hours on my tractor at PTO speed to get the flow and pressure needed.

The super split was a very nice looking machine to me. :)

Piston

Quote from: Reddog on November 17, 2009, 08:38:54 PM
I couldn't see running up that many hours on my tractor at PTO speed to get the flow and pressure needed.

This is a really good point and there are many topics on the advantages and disadvantages of using a 3pt hitch vs. self contained unit, especially over on tractorbynet.com, seems like opinions are split both ways, one guy said it good by saying he bought his tractor to run implements and his splitter was just another implement, thought that was a really good point.  But your definitely right, your putting hours on your tractor when you could be putting them on another (cheaper) engine.

I actually don't know what RPM they were quoting for the 8 second cycle time, I'm sure it would be much higher than I would use, your right I wouldn't be maxing out my tractor just to get an 8 second cycle time. 

I have a 3pt hitch splitter now and am happy with it for the most part, in fact if the cycle time of the splitfire was identical at the speed I run at now (around 1500 or less) then I would be happy.  The most appealing thing to me is that it splits both ways.  You figure with the 4 way head, you would have 8 pieces of firewood in under 20 seconds or so.  That right there is more than I could keep up with! 
-Matt

Hilltop366

I don't mind using the splitter on my tractor, I find it quite handy for the amount of wood I cut.
Many times I will cut the easy to get to trees and pull them a few feet with the FEL and a piece of chain then block split almost where they dropped, turn the tractor around and load in the bucket, this saves a lot of time and saw chain not having to skid the log. I don't think a tow behind splitter would survive too long behind the tractor in my wood roads ( if your not on a rock your in a mud hole ). Another plus is the little maintenance it needs when not in use, almost none compared to a self contained unit, and no one has asked to borrow it either ;), I picked up mine for $400 (used), was planning to make one but when I saw this one I thought why bother. I will be interested on what you think of the splitfire if you get one.

Cheers

Loaded a bit heavy for the mud I was in.

John_Haylow

I think you would be happy with the Split-Fire, they make a quality product. I have had their 290 with the 4 way head and hydraulic table for about 4 years and I really like it.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Stephen1

Quote from: Piston on November 16, 2009, 09:35:03 PM
Stephen,
Do you have any pics of that splitter in action?  Do you know which model you were using?  I'm wondering what your opinion is on the splitter compared to the vids I posted?  Did it work just like it shows in the video? 

With my 30hp tractor and I believe only 8-9GPM flow, they said it will have an 8 second cycle time, so basically 4 seconds per split, and thats for the smallest unit.  Sounds like you were using a self contained unit which is probably even faster?

we were using the self contained base model, and no I did not get any pictures. we always rent as a good friend works at Hertz rentals and the price is perfect. This was the 1st year for this unit and by far the best we have used.

Cheers,
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Cruiser_79

Very old topic  :)
I want to build a inverted log splitter for a forklift or frontloader because I don't wanna waste my back on big rounds. I wanted to build a 120 cm (4') splitter so I can split 3 rounds in one move. And in germany and austria people split wood at this length to cut it later on. They say it gets popular over here as well. 

On the internet overhere I saw a few split fires for sale, for example a 3203 demo machine. The split length is only 2' but it will save me a lot of time building. Are they sturdy enough for using at big rounds and use them upside down on a frontloader? 
And is the cilinder easily accessible for maintaining or repairs? What pressure do the manufacturers use for calculating their capacity? They can say 20 tons but if they assume you have 200 bar instead of 120 it will be quite a different capacity. 

Thank You Sponsors!