iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Sawmill Lubrication Mod

Started by Billbob, February 09, 2014, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

Yesterday was so bloody cold I couldn't use the sawmill so I spent the afternoon in the shed cobbling together a lube system for the sawmill.  I gathered a bunch of hydraulic and plumbing parts I had kick around (my wife says I'm a hoarder but I prefer 'repurposer')  I cut the tapped nut off a 1 1/2" galvanized pipe plug, used a hydraulic coupler with a tapped reducer, a Pex elbow, copper pipe, 3/8" pipe made a U clip from sheet tin and felt (the kind you use on the bottom of chair legs to protect the floor)  I welded, died, soldered and glued where needed.  I used it on the sawmill for the afternoon today and it worked like a charm.  It leaves a real thin film of lube on both sides of the blade.  Upside is that it doesn't take as much lube as the drip system.  Keep in mind that this is just the prototpe.  Now that I know it works I'll build a better one.

Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Andy White

Bilbob,
I will be looking really close on that mod for mine. I already have a set of Cooks roller guides to put on, and will add that mod as well. That will be after this cold is gone, as I don't function too well below 40°. During the Goodwill Trip, I took a really good look at Lynn's adjustable guide on his Woodmizer, and am developing a similar system for mine, using V groove wheels instead of a tube in a tube setup. There are all kinds of mods to do, but I can't stop sawing long enough!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

bandmiller2

Jolly good Billbob, I'am a big fan of wicks, they also help keep the band not only oiled but clean. You will find the felt will pick up sawdust and require cleaning every so often so design it easy to service. I use straight ATF on my wick system, cutting it with diesel or kero adds a little more solvent action. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Billbob

I hear ya Andy!  This lube mode was real easy to make just took time to figure out how I was going to put it together. I'm going to do another soon and will take photos of the step process for you.
Interesting about the roller guides.  Do you like them better than the factory guides that come on the Woodland?  I know a lot of the guys here on the Forum seem to like them.  The reason I'm asking is a fellow up the road has a mill with the roller guides and told me that he doesn't like them and would prefer what the Woodland has.

The heavy Equipment show will be here next month.  Several sawmill dealers will be here, Woodmizer, Norwood, , Timbrey.  I'm going to take a hard look at their setups and possibly steal some ideas for future mods to my Woodland   Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Billbob

I really like it, Frank.  There is just enough film on the blade to make it feel slightly greasy but not enough to pool.  I use a 50/50 mix of ATF/diesel.  I'll switch back to water and soap once the temperature stays above freezing.

Andy White

Billbob
The guide blocks on my mill work good if adjusted correctly, but it is a delicate balance of too loose, or too tight. The tricky part is getting  the blade level with the bunks. This takes a fine touch with the vertical adjusters on the drive side wheel. Then the blade tracking for that side needs resetting. The Cooks guides have the adjustment bolts easy to get to, and to keep set correctly. Also it will keep the 1/4" downward deflection on the blade, making for straighter cuts. The stock blocks do not allow for any deflection of the blade. Also they sound like they are" singing " as you make the cut. Your mileage may vary!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jimmy Mc

Great mod. Looking forward to the new build with the how to. I would like to do that to mine.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

bandmiller2

BillyB,I don't see the need to switch back to water in the summer, you know what they say about water and oil " they no mix". The light sheen of oil will not mark or pollute and you use so little cost is not a factor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Billbob

Billbob

Quote from: Andy White on February 09, 2014, 08:23:29 PM

I will be looking really close on that mod for mine. I already have a set of Cooks roller guides to put on, and will add that mod as well. That will be after this cold is gone, as I don't function too well below 40°. During the Goodwill Trip, I took a really good look at Lynn's adjustable guide on his Woodmizer, and am developing a similar system for mine, using V groove wheels instead of a tube in a tube setup. There are all kinds of mods to do, but I can't stop sawing long enough!     Andy

What model of roller guides did you use?  I'd like to see some pictures of it once you get it rigged up.

Quote from: Andy White on February 09, 2014, 08:23:29 PM

I know the dilemma.  Snow storm is coming near the end of the week.  So I gotta decide whether to keep sawing or go to the woods and log more trees..........saw or log, saw or log......decisions, decisions!
Bill
Bilbob,

Andy White

Billbob
The setup I got was the Cooks Retro Fit Guides. I don't remember the part number, but they are shown on their website. These are very well made and looks like they will work well.    Andy

drobertson

Nice job!  I like the wicks! no doubt they work, and I agree, no need to change over to soap and water,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!