Jim_Rogers

If you could see a video on using one of these layout tools in this picture:

Which tool would it be?

Thanks for answering.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

danreed76

If I had to pick just one, I'd say "I".  I've seen them referred to as "Big Al", but have never seen one used.  Typically such a simple looking tool has been well though out to make life easier, but I've just never seen one in use.  Once it's been fully explained, I'm sure I'll need to know where to get one.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Mad Professor

F and B.

That's all you really need.

WHOOPS!

I forgot, you need another piece of string/cordage and a weight for a plumb bob.

Then you can do fine 17th-18th century joinery!

shinnlinger

I'd second the big Al, I have read lots of hype (perhaps deserved) but never used or seen one. 

That said, all the slick uses of a framing square could be more beneficial as thats a tool I use alot but don't use it to it's fullest.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Probably not so much the tools per sae, but teaching scribe technique.  Also teaching snap line square rule with twisted timber that you might otherwise cull.    I haven't really worked with those techniques yet besides a demo, to have them down pat.
  One thing I may demo on a video is my sharpening technique - sand paper method.  I'm getting a new modern computer in the next week or two, and I'm going to get an decent editing software to play with editing myself.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ljmathias

Jim: you've opened up a can of worms or maybe better said, a well-stocked tool box.  Each of the tools I use needs a video or two on its own, and some of those shown I don't even know what they are or could be used for- H and K for example.  Starting with the Big Al is skipping all the tools you'd use before and after you get to it... so this means you also have a cart and horse problem: where to start, where to start.

Well, whatever is your first choice, I'm waiting with great anticipation.  I applaud your willingness to spend the effort and time (assuming that's why you asked?   :)  ).

I once hosted a teacher training event for a week in the summer, and we thought it would be cool to teach them how to do video for classroom instruction.  Brought in the head of that department on campus to help with this.  His first words to the group were strange: "If you're thinking of doing video, don't."  His point was, as he explained at length: only use video when you absolutely have to.  It's hard to do right, it's expensive (was back then, not so much now) and most people learn just as well with good pictures and step-by-step instructions they can read over and over again as they digest the material and develop skill.  He did point out, though, that for some things, video IS absolutely the best way to teach.  For me personally, a combination of the two works great- a video to get started, showing in general the overall process, along with the step-by-step with pictures for me to study, then print and carry out to the barn where I'll try it out.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jim_Rogers

It will be a few days before I can tape, edit and produce a video as I am milling on site this week and don't have the mill here to make a fresh timber to use in the show.

Also, I am helping a client prepare for a raising this Sunday.

Thanks to all who have posted the selections. All will be considered and if they can be combined and used into one or two videos I will try my best to do so.

Note to self, find parallel line ruler.......

Jim Rogers

classicadirondack

Either a Big Al or the framing square.  Looking forward to whatever you decide.  Maybe a whole series?

dukndog

I agree with Brad. I would also say the "Big Al" and "A", the calculator...or at least all the trig it takes to figure complex angle's.

Thanks Jim!!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Mad Professor

Quote from: dukndog on September 14, 2011, 08:48:58 AM
I agree with Brad. I would also say the "Big Al" and "A", the calculator...or at least all the trig it takes to figure complex angle's.

Thanks Jim!!!

DnD

If you study your trig and analytic geometry you can do/layout the angles with a divider  : )

frwinks

Quote from: Mad Professor on September 13, 2011, 10:16:08 PM
F and B.

That's all you really need.

x2 on F/B.   Most of the info out there assumes straight sticks, 90deg faces and mill and square rule. 
As most of us know, that's not always the case for whatever reasons.  Knowing how to deal with "special" sticks, can give a framer the confidence to tackle anything/everything thrown at them ;)  Framing is so much more fun when you can pick up any (and I mean ANY) pc of wood and make it work in whatever you're working on IMO. 
When cutting/splitting wood earlier in the season, I pulled a dozen or so pcs that I thought  did not deserve to be burnt :D  One day they will make very handsome, naturally curved braces 8)

jander3

K and R. Don't know how to use either.

Once you go to Big Al, that's it, you never look back!

And, I'm glad the Big Al is tough.  You can drop that tool on the driveway many times and it still stays square.

canopy

Any would be good. But I'd also like a good snap line square rule guide which would use some of these tools pretty heavily. There is a thread on this board already "Dealing with out of square timbers" that a member describes/uses it. But it would be nice to have a methodical step by step process for doing it correctly and efficiently.

Magicman

I would say "D", the framing square.  Sure I use one regularly, but there are many hidden or unknown "secrets" stored in it.

On another tool; many folks, even some experienced carpenters, don't know what the little "diamond" that is printed about every 19" on "N" represents.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Big Al and framing square.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

witterbound

I've got a Big Al in my barn that I really never used.  We used snap lines to lay out my frame, so Big Al didn't work the way we did it.  If anyone wants it, I'd probably be willing to part with it for the right price.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on September 15, 2011, 02:49:20 PM
I would say "D", the framing square.  Sure I use one regularly, but there are many hidden or unknown "secrets" stored in it.

On another tool; many folks, even some experienced carpenters, don't know what the little "diamond" that is printed about every 19" on "N" represents.

Floor joist or roofing stringer marks that fall out a even 48" for layout is what I used them for. Most good tapes have them also.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jim_Rogers

I have completed some videos about the tools on the list.
Some of the videos I was thinking of sharing were the recent ones I did.

I haven't finished editing them yet, so they would be some what "raw" videos. But you could still get some useful information out of them.

For first hand exclusive look at these sign up for this Sunday morning "chat/coaching" session.

mikerat

My vote is for the I or the ;D Big Al I just ordered one from the TFG and am playing with it in the basement, my second choice would be the Framing Square.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Jim_Rogers

I have had the Part one video on using layout tools edited for a few days.

I have been trying for several days to get it to play on my "videos" page on my web page.

I just got off the phone with tech support from my web page hosting company and they helped me understand the code and address to use to get the windows media file to play.

If you scroll to the bottom of the video page beyond all my YouTube videos, you'll see a blue link to the first part of the layout tools video. It should open in a window media player.

Please check it out and see if it plays for you. And if it doesn't please let me know.

You may want to keep the kids away from the computer screen while it's playing, that big hairy timber framer who talking there my scare them a little. :D

I'll be editing more of the videos I shot and will be posting them soon.

Jim Rogers

PS. here is a direct link to my video page http://jrsawmill.com/Videos%20page.htm

Mad Professor

Unless I'm at work video chat is not happening, I'm on dialup .............

Brad_bb

It doesn't play on the page.  If I click the link it starts to download the video (121 MB), which would take a long time for me and eat up a lot of space.  Not going to do it.  It needs to be hosted like your other vids.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DouginUtah

I downloaded it and had no problems--except finding it on my HD. It didn't download into my download folder, but I did find it so I can play it anytime.  8)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

losttheplot

Plays fine without the need to download.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!