iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ice fishing

Started by Sawyerfortyish, December 25, 2002, 04:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Deer seasons over. Now all I need is some cold air to get the ice fishing season started. talked to a guy that went out on about 3" of black ice the other day I think he's crazy :o 2 days later it was gone :'(

Jeff

The ORV's and the shanties are all over our lakes now. I was at my sisters house on the lake today and you could hear the ice moanin from the house. We watched a big pressure crack develop from the patio window. She's making ice big time.  I remember Tammy getting the bajesus scared out of here while she was fishing with me in a shanty. She was new to ice fishing. We heard this thunderous crack and water shot out of her ice hole about a foot in the air. It took me a while to explain ice formation and pressure cracks to her and explain that those loud groans and cracking noices meant that there was more ice forming, not that it was about to open up and swallow us. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

When your fishing Lake Superior and a crack opens up, you better check which side the crack yur on. :o If yur on the wrong side, next landfall might be Thunder Bay Ontario. :o DonT ask how I know, but now we take a 10' pram with us. The pram doubles as one great sled for the gear. :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

I'm talking inland lakes Chet. The big water is a whole different ball game.  When a lake is froze clear across the ice has to move together not apart.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Hey Chet,  that's pretty smart.

We've been taking a boat with us when we go fishing ever since I was a little tyke.  You need it on Okeechobee or you get all wet. ;D

chet

Jeff,  Try to tell my wife that, I've been trying for years and she ain't buying it.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Corley5

Mullet Lake was still open a couple days ago but Burt's been frozen for a while.  I heard they were catching some nice perch and walley on Maple Bay.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

L. Wakefield

Little Ossipee is frozen in up here. Mike brought home a MASSIVE batch of crappie. Great fish- then he left the bucket out on the kitchen floor all night- guts and bones and skin- so *I* put it on the porch to keep the dogs out of it. Then *HE* put the dogs out on the porch and left for the day- didn't see the bucket or think about it- came home and they'd trashed it, naturally. *HE* cleaned it up. His fish, his mess, his job. I love justice. 8) (heh heh heh). D'ya think he'll  be a little faster to take the refuse out to the great beyond the next time?? The chickens love it, and we let them make a mess- figure it's therapeutic for them.. a chicken's idea of decorating is fish guts. A dog's idea of decorating is fish guts OR bones OR the recent trash trend. MY idea of decorating is nouveau packrat mixed with a tasteful array of spiderwebs- and a protective patina of dust on the walls which I prefer to refer to as 'fur'.

LOTSA snow last night- true blizzard conditions. I was on rescue call and was VERY glad I didn't have to go out. I'll be down to the pasture shortly to feed now that it's daylight, and I'll have a bead on the depth. Looks like the drift around my truck is about 2-3feet. It's sunny out already- gonna be a nice day but windy. The herd is already stirring. I set them up so they could all pack into the stall if they wanted.

Reminds me of the pigs we used to keep in WV. One winter there was an INCREDIBLE amount of snow, and when you went out to feed in the morning they'd EXPLODE out of a pile of snow. I never had a chance to bring anyone around who didn't already know the pigs were there, but I can imagine the shock if a seemingly lifeless snowdrift suddenly explodes and a 150# of hog comes wuffing out. Cows don't explode like pigs do. They just HEAVE up- it's a much more gradual process.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!