iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black walnut 5/4, mill directly to kiln?

Started by JWass23, May 10, 2022, 08:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWass23

Hey guys, relatively new here but I just had a quick question. I know it's essential to air dry (both for hydro savings, and to prevent lumber failures) before going into a kiln, but I know 5/4 and 4/4 is a bit more flexible. 

I'm building a Solar kiln and I'm wondering if anyones had experience with putting black walnut 5/4 directly in a solar kiln right off the mill. 

Good idea? Bad idea? Experiences? It will be pretty well temperature regulated (90f until under 35%, 100f during 20-34% and 120f until under 8%. I don't want to get impatient and honeycomb the crap out of it!

wkf94025

I have some black walnut I slabbed into 3" for air drying 6 months ago, and won't be putting it in my solar kilns for a while.  Experimenting / learning on Doug Fir, Redwood, then red oak and white oak, and last of all would be my precious black walnut.
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

K-Guy

Yes put it in the kiln straight off but follow a schedule to do it correctly.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!