iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current price of ash on the stump

Started by OneWithWood, February 25, 2008, 02:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I would like to know what the stumpage price of ash is currently.

As EAB continues to advance I am looking at my exceptionally nice ash trees (a few green but mostly white) and wondering what to do.  I could have it logged and liquidate my current stock, relying on sprouts and seedlings to stay healthy if the EAB starves to death before they are of a munchable size.  Or, I could just hang on hoping the once the market glut is passed my healthy quality stems will be worth more. 

Anyone dealing ash at the moment?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

The last ash stumpage we sold was on November 6th at an appraised price of $77.73/MBF. This was for some pretty good white ash in the Cadillac area with no emerald ash bore as yet.

The State average price for white ash in the northern lower peninsula for 2007 was :
  Low: $60.00/MBF
  High: $133.50/MBF

It's value has dropped significantly due to the emerad ash bore concerns.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Are you going to market trees, logs or lumber?  Ash markets haven't been real healthy for a good number of years.  But, ash veneer is still selling.  And we've been marketing 8/4 ash cut log run for a decent buck.  4/4 can be a little dismal.  But, I'm not in Indiana.  Perhaps a call to Purdue is in order.

If you're planning to do the logging, I'd sell the veneer logs, and saw the rest and either sell it or put it on sticks. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LOGDOG

For that kind of money I think I'd have all new ash trim, cabinets, flooring, T&G about anywhere I could put it in my house. I like ash better than oak myself. I wonder what kind of money it would bring for baseball bats?

LOGDOG

Dale Hatfield

We have a coulple of markets for ash but once ya figger in the trucking costs the special market doesnt pay any better.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Ron Wenrich

Ash veneer is currently $1.50-$2/bf in the log.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Locally white ash saw logs are:

Prime >12"  top       $   523.23     mfbm  delivered at the mill
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!