iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

From Trash to Treasure

Started by Sawdust Lover, November 25, 2012, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

I was on my way to New England on Tuesday and stopped in town to get gas before heading out. A big dump truck pulled in and had a few logs in the back. After I got fueled up I walked over and asked him what he was doing with the logs. Headed for the dump before they closed he said. Really! How about taking them to my mill so I can saw them.. He laughed.. really? Your gonna saw them? For what? I told Him I would try to slab them for furniture makers. So I gave him directions and got home last night and they were here. These are junk logs and for most people they won't fool with them but my clients love them. One of the pics shows alot of black but thats not rot. It's character!

ladylake

Gotta love that huge throat  on the TK 2000, nice looking slabs. What kind of wood is that.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

Good for you, SL. You do what I do and it is very gratifying, isn't it?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ironwood

Nice, showing Ambrosia. Good find.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

A very nice find for sure.    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawdust Lover

I guess I should have said what type of wood. It's maple! With a ton of curl and birdseye.

samandothers

That is great!  Good catch at the station.  You have transformed the trash to treasure.

Sawdust Lover

You need to stop by next time your up this way Samandothers.

Dave Shepard

Nice save! Now that I have a mill I'm starting to look at firewood piles a lot differently. Is there a 12 step program for that? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mad murdock

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 25, 2012, 08:17:07 PM
Nice save! Now that I have a mill I'm starting to look at firewood piles a lot differently. Is there a 12 step program for that? :D
Sure, park yer mill in the right spot, and you will have 12 steps from the firewood pile to the mill! ;D
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Dave Shepard

This was my maple firewood log score:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Those are some ugly logs and I do mean ugly. But you will make them look beautiful. I bet that guy is laughing about dumping them logs off for you to try to make something out of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sawdust Lover

I got 28 slabs from 5' to 8' long. I have clients in N.C. and Tenn. that already have pics of them and will most likely take them all. The logs were free and it took me 3 hours to mill them. At 50 to $100 per slab I should be the one laughing. 8)

thecfarm

You have a good business there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

steamsawyer

It all looks nice... Did yo give the guy a card to call the next time he has a load?
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

bandmiller2

Dustlover,your a better man than I,I would even pass that one up for firewood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Bandmiller,I was thinking the same thing too. If I saw that in the woods that would be the first tree to be cut down. Just another way to look at ugly.  ;D While seeing his wallet fill up with green.

Solomon

Sawdustlover,  How many inches do you have between the guide bearings on that TK2000 when they are open up all the way?
It looks like it got a pretty good size throat.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Al_Smith

So really what are the culls out of a cull log--fire wood .

There's a local mill that has a mountain of firewood --culls from a cull log .

eastberkshirecustoms

Those really are the 'buttest' of butt *** ugly logs that I've seen :D. Kudos on turning them into useful lumber! I guess beauty or ugly is only skin bark deep!

Sawdust Lover

Solomon, I can cut up to 33" wide. But it really sucks up the gas. I,m not to impressed with the amount of gas it takes in a days time to run it. I wish I got a diesel!

samandothers

The lumber is great looking and I am sure the clients are pleased.  I look forward to coming by sometime to visit.  I'd like to see your facility.  Did not make it up over Turkey day, not sure when we'll be back that way maybe a quick trip this weekend. 
Hope it is ok to just drop in.

shelbycharger400

I had some key word had, some that looked similar but smaller that were only 20 in wide at widest spot. I milled em and were gone in less than a week. Infact it was day after I listed them they were sold, but he couldnt make it out til the weekend.
It was a root ball and stump that was only 3 or 4 feet long.  Not shure what you slab'd at but most around here want it around 2 to 2 1/2 thick, and they grumble if the bark is off.     That first picture I would have saved the Claw. That would have brought an easy $50 with no work involved!  Or it would have worked perfect for a stump/slab table!   Spalted coffee table slabs are nice to have in the collection for sale!

Thank You Sponsors!