iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saturn engine for my homemade sawmill

Started by jaayres20, April 13, 2020, 08:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaayres20

I pulled out a Saturn 1.9 liter engine from a wrecked car.  The car was $250.  It has either 85 or or 100hp.  Specs say the motor alone weights 200lbs.  I have a very sturdy mill so it will hold it just fine.  I currently have a 25hp Kubota gas engine (140lbs) and I am wanting more power for 4'+ wide cuts.  I had to basically pull out the entire wiring harness, ignition switch and instrument cluster because it is computer controlled. 

It took a while, but I finally got it running well out of the car. I had to make new motor mounts, and basically find a way to mount/connect everything else including the existing fuel pump in a smaller gas tank. I also had to reroute the exhaust and find a way to manage the wiring harness. I had to extend the wiring harness for the instrument cluster (30 wires) and the ignition switch by 10 feet so they can reach where the operator will stand. Now that everything is self contained I just need to mount it on the mill and set it up. So far I have less than $300 in it. Very excited!  

Here is a video of the motor running out of the car.

Saturn sohc.mov - Google Drive

btulloh

Pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the project. Good luck. 
HM126

47sawdust

That's pretty cool.You going to leave the dash hooked up so you can check your mileage?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

tacks Y

Sounds like a good idea. I wanted to build a mower from one but never did.

The main thing is balance the weight IMO. I have a LM3 with chrome rods and brass bushings for the slide. Strong and simple. If you need pictures let me know.

farmfromkansas

Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Crusarius

I have a 92 Saturn SL2 that I was toying with the same thing you are doing. Real anxious to see the results. I was always concerned about torque. Keeping the stock radiator for cooling?

moodnacreek

Bandmill Bandit

FYI 

Most rads out of cars do not have the cooling capacity volume for a stationary power application. The car rad is speced for a vehicle moving at 30+/- MPH or idling no load for short periods. Generally need to increase coolant volume 25 - 30% and speed the fan up and higher volume fan.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

jaayres20

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 13, 2020, 08:45:27 PM
That's pretty cool.You going to leave the dash hooked up so you can check your mileage?
Yes I'll keep the dash hooked up, but it won't keep track of mileage because I am only using the motor and not the transmission. 

jaayres20

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 14, 2020, 02:15:33 PM
FYI

Most rads out of cars do not have the cooling capacity volume for a stationary power application. The car rad is speced for a vehicle moving at 30+/- MPH or idling no load for short periods. Generally need to increase coolant volume 25 - 30% and speed the fan up and higher volume fan.  
Good point. I hope to keep the rpm around 2500 and not push the motor too much.  I think my biggest issue will be keeping sawdust out of the radiator. 

jaayres20

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 14, 2020, 01:20:13 PM
Did you rig up a governor?
I haven't gotten that far yet. I'll have all the gauges including the tachometer. I plan to keep the rpm at 2500 so I'll just give it a little more throttle if I see the rpm drop. 

jaayres20

Quote from: Crusarius on April 14, 2020, 11:39:14 AM
I have a 92 Saturn SL2 that I was toying with the same thing you are doing. Real anxious to see the results. I was always concerned about torque. Keeping the stock radiator for cooling?
I think it will definitely have more hp and torque if than the motor I have. I think I'll be fine in that area. I have the stock radiator for now. I'll see how it does. 

donbj

Hook the speedo up and see how fast you go through the log :)
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!