iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blades Lost

Started by kderby, February 16, 2008, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I use Resharp and ship the blades UPS.  I called to ask about picking up my sharpened blades because I was going to be in the city and Resharp says "What Blades"?

I stopped by the store and things are tidy, (nowhere for a box of blades to get lost in a messy corner).  They have searched and have no record of the blades arriving.  They are at a one day turn around and the blades were shipped three weeks ago.

I called UPS.  We are in a rural area so I have direct access to the UPS "locals."  They explained that they don't have the box.  Un-deliverable boxes are shipped back to the sender or to the overage warehouse in UTAH!  They are going to try one last location monday and after that I am out of luck.

I am especially out of luck because in a fit of cleanliness I picked up the tracking number / used label off the floor of my shop and tossed it in the garbage.  UPS without a tracking number has zero liability.  So, they are being courteous but I can not hold them to anything.

My curiosity is where can a box of fifteen dull bandsaw blades get lost?  These are not something you would steal and take home to your kids.  They are labeled.  I ship regularly.  Resharp gets hundreds of boxes delivered.  The box was in good shape and not "imploding."   I am discovering what it is like to lose $300 when I hand a box of blades to UPS.  I am sure they will express regret but that box of new blades is coming out of my pocket.

Does any one else have experience with this?  Am I the first person to ever lose a box of blades?

andybuildz

Well its not so much as being a box of blades. could have been anything. I had a similar experiance. No reciept or tracking number. Must have been 3 months and it finally came back to me with the box all banged up...but it did come back.
Luckily for you it wasn't a box of money...I doubt anyone's going to wanna keep a box of dull blades.
Bummer...good luck.
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

flip

My brother worked a stint at FeEx in Indy when he was going to school.  You wouldn't believe the storys he had.  Boxes that were leaking that had HUMAN body parts in them, tractor tires that came from Colombia that were packed with dope, guns and explosives falling out of boxes that weren't sealed properly, boxes of CASH vacuum packed and sealed being sent to little "hole in the wall" towns.  Absolutely amazing.  He said he was sure more illegal things got through, these were boxes that were damaged in transit or fell off the buggies that transfered them to the  sorting areas.  Imagine calling in with a tracking number the the tire load of dope you lost, or "where's the arm and liver I mailed "overnight" two weeks ago"? 
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

A good reminder to hang on to the tracking numbers, and even do the tracking on-line.
Might then have been able to see just where the box was last scanned.

Hope you find it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deeker

Kderby, well since I live in Utah.   Would they fit my norwood mill???  8) 8)  Just kidding.  Bummer to have scrapped the tracking number.  I do most of my UPS and FEDEX from my home computer.  So far, still have all the tracking  info for years back.  Just keep pestering UPS and well, um.....next time...... :) :)  We did send a package to my son in Iraq a year ago, and I screwed up the address to him when I used the wrong type of ink.  It smudged in shipment.  The Marine who got it did not know my son even though they were in the same brigade.  He enjoyed the goodies.....and contacted me.  We all laughed and I got to meet him when my son got home last june.  Good Luck

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

Dave Shepard

Hopefully they were bands that were on their last sharpening, that would lessen the pain somewhat. :( We got four boxes back from resharp last week. The boss wasn't there to pay the COD, so they left the three boxes that didn't have the paperwork with them. :o :D It was a five day turnaround for us, that's great service. There are several streets around here that are very close together in name. East road,(in Alford) East Alford (in West Stockbridge) West road, (In Alford) West center road (in West Stockbridge). The trouble is, Alford shares West Stockbridges zip code. This confuses the delivery people to no end. To top it off, each of these roads has a house with the same number as our house. You could have a package sitting on someone else doorstep that won't be back until the snow is gone and Tanglewood is open for the season. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

abatol

If you can remember the exact day you shipped them on  and ask very nicely they may review there records and find your shipment  by name or address .Having a good relationship with the local folks helps . Been burned by ups to the tune of 185.00 dollars on a return they picked up from me and  didnt have record of delivery bck to the original sender he was less than helpful  in getting ups to send me the insured value so he probably made 185 x 2 on the deal .oh well I hope you have better results.
It doesn't matter what shape the board is as long as it's a rectangle. Smiley   Stolen Quote Thanks TOM

stonebroke

A long time ago I ordered a cattle grooming chute. The trucking company lost it. Eleven months later the area manager comes in with it. The tag got ripped off and it ended up down in NY City where nobody knew what it even was.

Stonebroke

andybuildz

Quote from: stonebroke on February 16, 2008, 05:17:58 PM
A long time ago I ordered a cattle grooming chute. The trucking company lost it. Eleven months later the area manager comes in with it. The tag got ripped off and it ended up down in NY City where nobody knew what it even was.

Stonebroke
That was yours???? And my wife was trying to use it to groom me all that time before she sent it back....why I aughta....lol
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

Cedarman

UPS lost 3 boxes of blades on the way from resharp to me.  Took several weeks, but I got my money.  They lost a package of lumber in NYC.  I finally got my money back. They wanted me to show receipts for the packaging I used.  Raised a fit and they waived their policy.  Sent a package to Columbus Ohio.  It ended up in North Carolina.  Finally got it to Columbus.  Customer was blaming us big time for mislabeling the package.  He had to make a trip to north side of Columbus to pick it up. When he got the package he found a label on top of our label.  We had the right address and UPS goofed up.  Customer let us know what he thought of UPS and apologized for thinking we goofed. (At least this time we didn't goof, won't tell another story about when we did).
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

tree-farmer

I have to throw this one in as a example of missing shipments:
Though I have sawdust in my veins, I have made my living designing and building platic injection molds for the last 25years or so.
Some years back we had call for a exotic mold steel (M2 as I remember, about 30lbs worth) and the best price delivery was from a company in Canada, so we ordered it from them,which meant it had to go through customs. Well, a week or so passed and it did not arrive. We did all the tracking mess with no result, needed the steel so we just placed another order. Not much of a bargin now having to pay for (2) piecies to get one.
The second order showed up, the tool was built and life went on. About (3) months later we get a call from a woman in Nevada who owns a ribbon,bow stationary type shop; she had recieved a shipment and inside her box was our block of steel, still wraped,and labled with our phone number on it. We had her ship it to us, ended up being a door stop for years, since its not a common steel to use in a mold.
The lady who recieved it knew something was odd when she go a box of ribbions that were heavy as steel.
I will never know how it got in her box of goods, or where it went for several months, just one of those cosmic mysterys.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

MartyParsons

kderby, if you send me your WM customer # on a PM I will research it and see if they can find a tracking #.
Marty
Re Sharp should have a record of all shipments out. If you sent it to us and it got lost and you used a ARS (Authorized Return Label) unless you have the tracking # we will not be able to find it.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!