iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blades,boards and big logs

Started by EmannVB, May 03, 2010, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmannVB

Ahh, so I'm officially into "retirement" (although still flying for pay...), and really getting into my sawing.  When I bought my mill (used '06 B-20, with 70hrs) it came with about 20 blades in various stages of useage.  Some obviously beyond use, others looked pretty new.  Well, I used up the "pretty new" pile, and started into the "not so pretty" pile.  After a couple ugly passes, I decided I need some shiny new blades...
Hmmmm.... so off to the forum to harvest info on the best blades and deals... Well, I guess it's kinda like the "What mill to buy" qustion.  I'm sawing mostly Poplar right now, but will probably jump into Hickory and White Oak when I'm ready for my beams.  I'm not a production operation, just sawing from my land for my personal consumption.  I've had pretty good cuts with the TK Ultra blades that came with the mill, but being a Novice, I'd like some seasoned opinions.  Best blade for the buck? Anyone know of any secret forum pricing?

~Mark

2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

sgschwend

Sounds like it would be helpful to know of a good saw service so you could get your used blades straighten out.

The one I use is in Idaho so that might be too far for you.  The saws make the job go, you need them to be good as a new person that can be challenging.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Bibbyman

We started out with Wood-Mizer blades and then found other brands at a lower price.  After going around with a couple of brands, we came back to Wood-Mizer.  Not to say there are not other good blades out there and maybe a few that are a better value from time to time but consistently,  the Wood-Mizer blades have performed well.  And buying in some larger volume helps.

We've been a real fan of the Double-Hards by Wood-Mizer and settled on their .045 by 9° blades.  Then a year or more back they came out with their new 7° degree blades and they perform significantly better than the other profiles.  We are trying to phase into using 7° blades but have some of everything else left to use up.

I may note that we saw mostly oak along with some other hardwoods – hickory, ash, maple, cheery, walnut.  Sometimes our logs get pretty dry before we get to them.  The 7° Double-Hard has performed well in all these woods.

Sounds like you are going to be dependant on a sharpening service.  There are plenty around.  Wood-Mizer will re-sharpen their own blades and I think they'll resharpen blades by other manufactures that have the same gullet shape, angle, and tooth spacing.

Another way to go (if you're not sawing that much) is with a disposable type blade.  Wood-Mizer makes a line of these blades too.  Their intended for commercial resaws and such.  I suspect most other blade sources have a line of blades like these also.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

EmannVB

Thanks Bibby.  I was looking at WM blades, as I like their resharp program and there's a place not far from me that performs the service. 
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

bandmiller2

Mark,woodmizers are good,but different mills and different millers seem to have their favorites.Most band dealers will give/sell you a sample try several you will find you like one above the outhers.Myself if given a choice would pick timberwolf.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

trapper

sometimes woodmizer will have price cuts at the logging shows they attend
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

Quote from: trapper on May 04, 2010, 08:46:47 AM
sometimes woodmizer will have price cuts at the logging shows they attend

This is true!
If you call Wood-Mizer and place order to be picked up at the show, you'll usually get a good discount!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

BRP

Well since I have a B-20 also,here is my 2 cents worth.
First of all do ya have v belts on ur band wheels? Makes all the difference, I put them on mine before TK even thought about it. I have tried WM(excellent products), TK(very good), Timber Wolf(never again), Simonds(very good,long lasting), etc. Overall I have 2 say Simonds Red Streak Hard Carbon for our B-20s but they have gone up in price, used 2 b cheap. I sharpen n set my own also. PM me if ya want 2 know anythig else about our B-20s.

O yeah hello again Jeff, Tom, everyone.....good 2 b back. We need a fish fry or something huh.....

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

sigidi

"Blades, boards and big logs..." I got all excited excpeting to see me a Lucas or something sending out piles of sawdust ;D

...regardless it's good to see any pics of lumber coming off any of our mills 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!