iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberKing Blade Guide Rollers

Started by tazz, August 03, 2012, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazz

I have a TK 1600 and have a lot of problems with the roller bearings. I seems I am constantly having to repack or change out bearings especially on the side where the lube is applied. I am wandering if anyone out there running a 1600 has replaced the cheap bearings with Cooks guide rollers and how that is working.

Larry

I found if I clean the wet built up sawdust from around the guide when I quit for the day, the bearing lasts a lot longer.

Having said that it doesn't seem like my bearings have lasted all that long.  There a standard size bearing.  Once my warranty is out on my mill I'm going to try bearings from Accuratebearing.com to see if I can get a longer life.  They usually can provide anything from a cheap bearing to really high quality. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ga Mtn Man

I would call TK and see what they would charge to send you the parts to upgrade to the roller-style guides.  Might be cheaper and easier than the Cook's.  I can't speak to the quality of the bearings inside the rollers since I've only had my mill a few months.  But, like Larry said, they're easy to replace.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

ladylake

If the 1600 has the 3" guide wheels with the flange on the back like the B20 and TK 2000 those are some of the better guide wheels made due to the 3" size and good sized bearings in them but water will kill any bearing.  I drill about a 3/32 hole in the seal and use a needle nose grease gun to grease those bearing at the start of every day, my bearing last years instaed of months doing that..  If the 1600 has the 3 bearing setup I'd upgrade to Cooks greasable guides.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

If you use water lube and the guide nearest the lube is failing you might consider a diesel wipe. Like LL said, water is a bearing enemy.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tazz

I constantly wipe away the wet saw dust throughout the day to try to prolong the life ot the bearings but I still have to repack about every third day of sawing. I can usually tell when the bearings are drying out due to the noise. I also grease the top rollers each time I change the blade. I'm careful not to over grease them as this has caused the seal to pop off in the past.

I checked on cooks roller guides and the size for the 1600 with 1/2" bore is 2" OD which is 5/8" larger than the bearings. I believe they were $59 a piece.

j rock

MM, I was having that problem, one thing I did that helped is i put a nice coating of silicone over the seal of the bearings. It was'nt the cure , but it did help.   .J
whats fun? making saw dust!!

Thank You Sponsors!