iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular saw gauge selection

Started by torqueporting, January 19, 2013, 04:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torqueporting

Has anyone run a 6/7 gauge saw in 50"? I am curious if the blade is too thick and overkill for smaller saws in average production speeds. 

bandmiller2

Torquer,If I recall mine is 7-8 but I really had little choice it came with the mill and a new saw is more than I can justify.As a rule you will have fewer problems with a heavier saw,slight loss of lumber.If you have it or can get it reasonable use it,just use bits and shanks little wider.Give us more information. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

torqueporting

My past mill experience is a 7/8 gauge 50" F saw with a 9 gauge 48" 2 1/2 back up. When the 7/8 gauge was out of commission we ran the 9. Sawing with the 9 was slower in that we could not push on that blade as hard. That mill is long gone and never coming back. I purchased a portable belsaw which came with a beat up R. Hoe 9 gauge 2 1/2 in 48".  I had the 9 gauge hammered with plans to run the saw for a year and then upgrade to different pattern and gauge.  This purchase will put me in the drivers seat to buy what ever saw I wish. When making the purchase I want to by something that will satisfy my needs but not too much overkill. I have to say I do like the idea of a 6/7 gauge saw.

ALWOL

Usually the thicker gauge saw is needed on a high horsepower, faster feed speed production mill sawing in hardwoods, but I also would choose the heavier gauge for myself if I had the choice. You should still be able to run 9/32 bits if the saw is fairly well tuned. The heavier saw will be a little easier to control, and can take more abuse before needing hammering.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

Thank You Sponsors!