iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to get diesel fuel smell out of clothes?

Started by Robert Owens, November 19, 2014, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Owens

I use diesel fuel for my blade lubricant in my mill and am having a difficult time trying to get the smell out of my clothes after a day of sawing. Does anyone know of anything to use with the detergent? We tried a coke (my wife read about that somewhere) with the load of laundry but did not work real well.

reswire

Dawn dish washing detergent?  I know it breaks down oil really well.  ???
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

I use a spurt of Simple Green when I pump diesel, and it seems to cut the smell rather well.
Don't have any idea if washing clothes with it would work for you.
I gather your regular washing machine detergent is not cutting the smell. Which laundry detergent isn't working for you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I really don't know...but what I do know.....I won't put my Diesel clothes in the washer with my wife's dress pants again.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Robert Owens

Ha, ya I learned the hard way to not mix any of my work clothes with the general laundry. My wife was not happy with me. I'll try the dawn and simple green and see how it works. Thanks

barbender

I don't know how to get rid of the smell, but I would say if you are using enough diesel for lube to leave you smelling like it, you're using too much. Look around on the forum for some of the felt wiper systems members have made for diesel lube. Cook's makes a system you can buy, too. I'd be surprised if you used a cup of diesel in a full day of sawing with a wiper system.
Too many irons in the fire

levisthered

Having been around diesel all my life and soaked in it on occasion evaporation is one of the better ways to handle the smell. if they are to bad let them dry a while before you wash them then wash and let them hang on the line for several days.

drobertson

It sounds like you got a good dose on your clothes,  I have done it before, not with the lube but inadvertent spills, we have been using a tide knock off,  it comes from the Sam's club, it works for my clothes, and for sure, I have been washing all my clothes separate from the rest, mill clothes are together, and that's all that's in the wash.  It works here, not saying it will work for you but worth a try, And the felt wiper is a better alternative for sure.  I don't use it, but know those that do, it works great for them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 19, 2014, 07:55:41 PM
I really don't know...but what I do know.....I won't put my Diesel clothes in the washer with my wife's dress pants again.  :o

Diesel clothes and wives don't mix. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

highleadtimber16

Why would you want to get rid of it? I love the smell of diesel!  ;D
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 19, 2014, 07:55:41 PM

Did  that once also . Now we have Two washing machines .  His and Hers.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

kelLOGg

I use it for hair tonic. Gets a lot of attention. :o
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 19, 2014, 10:06:51 PM
I use it for hair tonic. Gets a lot of attention. :o

:D :D :D :D :D You're as crazy as me!

1woodguy

We have twin washers and dryers also one set is for me and the dogs stuff! :D

Did  that once also . Now we have Two washing machines .  His and Hers.
[/quote]
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

hacknchop

My wife uses lestoil to get my work clothes clean works really good even cuts through pine pitch and 80/90 gearlube.
As far as bladelube switched over to water pinesol mix cheap and effective cleans and cools.
Often wrong never indoubt

goose63

Lestoil works the best. DO NOT PUT DAWN in the dish washer don't ask me how I know ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

My daddy always poured diesel on any kind of wound.  He said that it killed germs. 

We had a half grown dog that was chasing a rabbit, and the rabbit ran in between the tines of an up-turned chisel plow.  Well, the dog ran into the chisel plow and cut his head open.  My Daddy poured diesel fuel on the dogs head.

The dog did not make it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 07:41:29 AM
My daddy always poured diesel on any kind of wound.  He said that it killed germs. 

We had a half grown dog that was chasing a rabbit, and the rabbit ran in between the tines of an up-turned chisel plow.  Well, the dog ran into the chisel plow and cut his head open.  My Daddy poured diesel fuel on the dogs head.

The dog did not make it.

My daddy had a goat one time and he was..............well never mind.

Poor dog WDH.  smiley_crying

Chuck White

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 20, 2014, 07:50:59 AM
Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 07:41:29 AM

The dog did not make it.

My daddy had a goat one time and he was..............well never mind.

Poor dog WDH.  smiley_crying

My daddy had a goat one time and he was...Poston...........well never mind.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

blade69001

Quote from: goose63 on November 20, 2014, 05:13:54 AM
Lestoil works the best. DO NOT PUT DAWN in the dish washer don't ask me how I know ;D

I hope it wasn't clothes you were putting in the dishwasher!!!! :D
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

goose63

Nope just dishes that thing started to foam at the mouth  say_what went back to washing by hand
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jim_Wahl

I may have mentioned this before. Chlorophyll is supposed to be one of the best of all natural deodorizers, and fresh cow manure is loaded with chlorophyll. I don't know how well that would work with laundry, but I am sure you'll want to rinse that manure out with some gasoline when you are done deodorizing.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Herb Brooks

Arm and hammer wash powder and 2 scoops of that Oxy stuff.  My day job involves an occasional diesel dousing.  ymmv. 

Thank You Sponsors!