iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well this morning I can see the woodpile after all the rain in the night. It will soon be white again, I suspect, by tomorrow. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jimbarry

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 18, 2022, 04:41:19 AM
Well this morning I can see the woodpile after all the rain in the night. It will soon be white again, I suspect, by tomorrow. :D
Same here :) 

Al_Smith

Ohio and this goofy weather .It went from 10" of snow or so to melted to 54 above yesterday .Now it's 18 above but come next week will be above 50 .I suppose for those who tap the sugar maples this stuff really makes the sap flow . For me if I want to snatch some more wood I'll have to wait until the top of the ground freezes back up .Mud is one thing I could do without .
We got a drizzel of rain all day yesterday and about 5 pm it had the roads iced up .Then about 1" of snow last night .I'm not leaving the house today because these yahoos don't know how to drive on ice and they've lived here all their loves .It's a good thing this area is as flat as Kansas . 

SwampDonkey

Yep, rained all night, then this morning a bunch of ice build up and now going over to snow out of the NW with wind hurrying it along. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I built my last fire this morning for about a week.  High in the 80°'s this week but back into the high 20°'s next week.  Rain through Thursday and sawing scheduled for Friday.

Typical weather for late Winter here.  My firewood here at the house is getting sorta low.  (Actually I just counted eleven sticks.)  I can bring more up but I hate to have to haul unused wood back to the woodshed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The extra firewood can't be more than an armload can it? Wouldn't fill grandmother's wood box by the old cook stove. ;) :D :D

It will be a few weeks before I have to cut firewood, but I will probably cut 2 or 3 cord in the spring, a little extra safety net for next winter, on top of the 7-1/2 cord sitting in the snow outside the door. ;D Still about 6 cord of dry wood left for the winter. :)

Al_Smith

As usual in this neck of the woods the weather is all over the place this time of the year  .Started out just after dawn it was 12-14 above .Now shortly after noon it's 42 .Tomorrow it could hit over 50 .I have been splitting some rounds with a sledge and a wedge which I don't usually do just to be rid of it off the trailer .I might make a run to the woods or just wait until tomorrow .
That super duper fancy high tech propane furnace is making a monkey out of me .Might have the exhaust froze up or the intake blocked but the discharge only gets up to about 85 degrees, should be 115-130 or so .Then it knocks out the flame spread sensors so something is amiss I just haven't figured out what yet .I'll win because I always do I'm just a tad bit befuddled at the moment .That said the woodstove insert has carried the entire load this winter which is a good thing .

cutterboy

Doing a reverse skid. :D Hitched a young hickory tree to the tractor bucket and backed up to pull it out of the woods and into the field where I could cut it up.

I then went after this scrub red maple.

It has warmed up here, ground is getting soft. Rain tonight and tomorrow so I won't be cutting in the woods till it firms up again. Time to split wood in the barn.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SwampDonkey

All that heat locked up in wood fiber. ;D

newoodguy78

@cutterboy I've been waiting for you to post a picture of the front end of your tractor to tell what make it is. Just my luck the grill is missing   :D. Is it an old Massey industrial? Keep up the good work and watch out for the mud.

cutterboy

newoodguy, you are exactly right. Massey Ferguson model 20 industrial, probably early 1970s but not sure. 42hp. My dad bought it used about 35 years ago and passed it on to me 20 years ago. It has treated me very well over the years.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Big_eddy

Got a warm day and lost some snow. Splits pile continues to grow. Log pile shrinking. 

thecfarm

Big_eddy, that looks like quite a pile of split wood!!! 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jimbarry

Big_eddy

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2022, 06:59:07 AM
Big_eddy, that looks like quite a pile of split wood!!!
Somewhere north of 60 cord so far. We are 2 months and 15 cord ahead of where we ended up last year, with one more truckload of logs arriving this week.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jimbarry

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Big_eddy

Despite appearances, it is not all stacked. It's probably the worlds largest holtzhaufen pile. I stack a outer wall, then dump splits against or over it with the tractor bucket. Actually, ever since I knocked the wall over dumping a load, I stack a double outer wall and then dump splits against or over it.

SwampDonkey

Quite a mountain of wood. Enough for 6 old drafty farm houses up here.  ;D

cutterboy

Looks like a lot of ash. My favorite. :)

thecfarm

Looks like a lot of wood to me.
And work!!!!   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Big_eddy

I'm a bit of a math geek. There's 60 cords there.
Each cord takes about 10 logs or 120 blocks. That's 600 logs or 7200 blocks. I picked each one up at least once. So did my wife.
Assuming each block is split in 4, there are 28,800 splits there.  Each one has been stacked on the tractor bucket - once.

If you are keeping up, we are at 43,200 touches so far.
And every piece will get picked up and stacked on the loader bucket again to load the trailer before we deliver. 

Total 72,000 touches to deliver 60 cords. And to think some people PAY for gym memberships????

Thank You Sponsors!