iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Table Build

Started by PoginyHill, April 16, 2021, 07:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

Time to begin building my firewood table. The intent is to keep everything off the ground (24-32" high) and establish lengths to cut. Table will be 16ft long with slots for a chainsaw for 16" pieces and 24" pieces. Off-bearing table will be an incline - take wood from there to the woodpile, splitter, trailer or whatever. I'll load small 16 footers by hand, larger ones with an excavator/thumb, log loader, or tractor grapple. Only a concept now, but plan to start cutting steel this weekend. Frame is 2x2 and 2x3 tube with 1/8" wall. table top will be a combination of 2x4 and 4x4 rough-sawn lumber (easily replaceable). Wheels on one end, hitch and jack on the other - clear in between so nothing to trip on.

Many of the details I'll improvise as I go along. Not every detail is planned for.

Side View:

End View:

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

Hmm.  Im on the fence about this.  I guess id have to see the whole yard layout and what youre doing.  

Are the pieces going to drop to the ground or will you manually pry them out and carry to the splitter?  Are you cutting at the flat or the gutter line?  

Does the trailer go in the woods or does the wood come out and go to the trailer?

Nice sketchup.
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Cut on the upper flat portion - about 32" off the ground, then push cut pieces over the 2x2 piece of wood and onto the incline (I will probably lessen the angle a bit). Then pick up pieces from the incline manually. This will all be in my "yard". Plan is to take everything out of the woods in 16ft lengths with a (yet to be purchased) forwarding trailer. Would use the trailers loader to place pieces on the table.

Thanks for the questions and opinions - rather identify problems and ideas now than later.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

I made one that i stack flitches on, but have done big logs/trees made from timbers and conveyor rollers.  I can move it with forks to get at chunks that fall into the frame.

bucking up firewood in Firewood and Wood Heating (forestryforum.com)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on April 16, 2021, 08:13:41 AM
I made one that i stack flitches on, but have done big logs/trees made from timbers and conveyor rollers.  I can move it with forks to get at chunks that fall into the frame.

bucking up firewood in Firewood and Wood Heating (forestryforum.com)
Thanks for the share. Hourglass rolls would be sweet. For this build, I decided no moving parts, but portable (without putting forks on). If I decide to go bigger in the future, probably be a processor style unit. I don't have much in the way of large stuff. Nearly everything is under 16" diameter.

Crusarius

I was thinking something very similar to this except for all my slabwood. I was planning on making it out of wood. 

I doubt I will have time to do up a sketch but if I do I will post it.

mike_belben

If i may add a thought.. I hope you will consider making this so as to be expandable and easily integrated into your future builds so as not to just be a piece of parked once was iron that your next phase makes obsolete. 

I cant tell you HOW to do that but i know those are often my greatest frusterations.. When something i built "just for now" coulda been so much better if i just had one more lightbulb flick on and then i either have to cut a lot off, start over or go without.  

Maybe it is the manual cut table for now, but can become the log deck for later?  Maybe it houses the motor, tank, overhead tin roofing and light tower for the processor evolution?  Maybe the top flat eventually gets kicker fingers that toss each log down the ramp to the feeder trough thats on the driver side and maybe the passenger side ends up having legs and live deck chains?  

I dunno, thats your baby to create but i am always missing the mark on v1.0 and wishing i know what i was gonna run into later.  A lot of times v2.0 never happens but v1.xx leaves me sorry i overlooked expansion.  

The flip side is how much time can go by while i wrestle and waffle on it all.  Many sketches!  Keeps my mind out of the gutter atleast.
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

As far a expandability or modification, I think the basic frame could rather easily be modified for additional things with some amount of cutting/welding. I'm guessing this'll be good for at least 3+ years, maybe the rest of my mortal life - who knows. Rather inexpensive and (hopefully) a quick build, so not a huge investment if the future brings unexpected things.

mike_belben

I hear ya.. I remind myself all the time its all just junk who cares. 

OTOH. metal is precious in the south and im running through my "lifetime" supply at an alarming rate!  The thought of buying it is cringy. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

I bought a hay wagon running gear and put a deck on it mostly for this purpose, I put a couple of skids on it and used it for bucking firewood and feeding the splitter. It worked decent, we split a lot if wood like that last summer. Now that I've moved on to a processor, I still have a wagon that makes a great work table among all of the other things one might use one for. I'd think about going that route.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

since you are looking at a forwarding trailer, and after reading these threads, maybe a como trailer and bucking station.  or something on the side that allows the log to be cut in 16 inch section all at once, or roller/conveyors that move the log back and cut it, like a processor.  as we get older, we hate to bend and lift more than is needed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Our firewood table is a shameless copy of ideas and photos posted by @mike_belben  Thanks Mike!

We had decided to use IBC totes for firewood. We only need five cords per year to heat my woodworking shop and to process mill slabs and the firewood-size branches from our tree service cleanups. Also, the aim was to try for the OHIO slogan. (Only Handle It Once)  :D

Parts used are some cut up scaffolding and a 9 footer conveyor plus a few hours of fun with a welder and a cutting wheel.

The conveyer was braced onto the side.

This is the setup with Stihl 038 attached. An upright attaches a bungy cord to the saw handle, and balances the saw bar about 12 inches above the table.

A sched 5 bolt was welded to the table, a stopper nut, two washers and a nut with hole for the clevis pin. It holds the three foot bar pretty well. Easy on/off for oil & fuel re-fills.

It can easily be moved around with the loader - two 'C' channels were welded on two foot centers for the loader forks.

So there it is in use.

The Gehl loader is rated for more than 1000 lbs, and three tightly stacked totes make up a full cord of firewood. The time and effort savings are huge. It almost feels like we're cheating 'cause its so easy now. (almost) 

Six totes per load in the chipper truck box and the only handling is to get a tight stack in the totes after they fall off the firewoodtable. It was worth the trouble to build - we're happy.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Nice job 👍. Looks like a really handy little loader

mike_belben

Nice work andries.  Staying upright sure does help the spine!
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Logrite built a table. Had a super split built right into the table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Andries, great job. Mike, great idea. Forestry Forum, great place for sharing.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

Andries,

I never called a piece of machinery "cute", BUT, that loader is cute! AND, it lifts a loaded tote, so it's rugged too. Nice clean operation you got
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Andries

I just got home after topping up her fuel and put 'Gail' away for the night. 
Yeah, maybe you're right. 

Cute, but in the way a bulldog puppy might be cute. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

The ease of getting on and off and visibility is incredible 

jmur1

Working smarter and harder!  Nice setup.  Keep the wheels turning...
Easy does it

PoginyHill

I appreciate the input from you folks. For now I plan to stick with my original plan. I think the basic frame could be modified for a different use in the future with a little cutting (Might force me to buy a plasma cutter ;D). Finished the two main frame beams, then ran out of MIG gas. Will pick away as free time allows. Trailer axle is taking a little more time to ship than planned.

mike_belben

holy new metal batman.  i cant even remember what thats like!
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

711ac

711ac

Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood. 

Thank You Sponsors!