iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A one board coffee table or making something out of nothing

Started by Kcwoodbutcher, December 11, 2014, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcwoodbutcher

A while back I had posted about taking down a former Kansas State record walnut tree. The gist of this post was the disappointment I had when the trunk, which was 52" at its narrowest point, turned out to be hollow. Over the last year I've been cutting up the branches, some which were over 30" in diameter, the hollow trunk, and the hollow stump. I made very good money on all aspects of this endeavor. Now I was left with the one last piece of this tree, a very large crotch piece. The crotch was over six feet across at the top so no way would it fit on the mill. It didn't really matter because one ear of the crotch was hollow and the rot progressed into the main stem.

This ruined any crotch figure I might have got sawing in in the normal fashion. I figured I would just chainsaw it up and try and recover some small boards which I hoped would produce some curly figure. I sawed it in half the easy way and let it sit for a couple of days before I got back to it. When I got back to it I stared at it a bit and thought, wait a minute, there a table in that piece, it just needs a little cleaning up. I called a customer of mine and asked if he'd be interested in it. He came out and bought it on the spot and we then proceeded to clean it up on the mill. We had to pull the guides to get the full 36 inches of it through the throat. He's going to route a recess around the hollow part and cover it with glass. And I was right, there is curly figure throughout the piece. This only worked because it was hollow. As it is it's 250 to 300 pounds. If it was solid it might fall through the floor. I slabbed the other half into six slabs and sold them for good money also.

My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Hookpilot

WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

Ocklawahaboy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coalsmok

dboyt

Another successful "trash to treasure" story.  I wouldn't have thought to trim & turn it like you did.  Nice job!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ozarkgem

Brilliant! I will have to remember that idea. glad you posted it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Privacyleech

Swatson

I gotta say that looks nice.  You should be proud of that.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Thank You Sponsors!