iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bucking up firewood

Started by doc henderson, October 23, 2019, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

remember the locust tree that chomped on my bands and chains, and found a 3 foot column of concrete in it.  well i made something from the 5 x 5 stuff i made from it.  some is used for dunnage under logs in the yard.  i am moving some log piles as I try to grade the yard to drain since the new clinic construction behind my place.  my brother did road construction and gave me trough rollers from an obsolete conveyor.  i can put 36 inch trees on this and cut between the rollers and get my 16 inch logs to split for my stove.  this is mulberry that has been in the log for a few years drying.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Very cool! If you need a place to store that, I can hold it for you. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Looks better than me putting pieces of wood under my logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Gee what a good brother, that turned into a nifty jig.

woody_88

I like how the rollers have a bow to em, keeping the log in place from side to side. Great stuff right there Doc!  ;)

hedgerow

Doc
You got a nice start for a wood processor. Its always nice to get those logs off the ground. I am to the point I don't do much bucking by myself. If I do I buck it some with that skid loader and the hyd saw. Most of the time I wait until one of my firewood helpers is around and I hold them with the skid loader and grapple and he bucks them up. 

doc henderson

thanks for the feedback.  I have had those rollers sitting for close to 10 years.  It worked as expected, but now the blocks from a 30 inch tree are kinda heavy.  I have used the grapple as well to hold, but always end up with the last or middle chunk that has to be done by different.  I am able to pick up 4 blocks at a time with the grapple and set them near the splitter.  the roller lets me adjust the log to get all even cuts at about 16 inches.  my stove will hold a 24 inch piece sideways, but with a raging fire, it is easier to load front to back.  the smaller stuff falls through and I can lift the jig up and they fall through.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

711ac

Nice rig doc!
For those of us without a dandy set of rollers...
A bunch of hemlock 2x4's from the mill.

iirc, they are 8" centers. My apologies for cutting into your thread, just spreading ideas around thumbs-up

doc henderson

the more the merrier.  looks good!  the 8 inch centers keep the logs from falling through, with mine I pick it up with the forks for the little stuff, the beg stuff I can pick off the top with the grapple.

dave_dj1

I like your set up doc but unless you're a dwarf it needs to be much taller, I'm 6'-2" and that would kill my back  8)

doc henderson

It is for the big stuff, so a 30 inch log is at a good height.  you stay upright and rotate through so you do not hit the back.  It could easily be lifted if needed.  goes a little faster and keeps the chain out of the dirt. :)

Logging logginglogging

tell me about that concrete column you found? did someone pour concrete in a hollow tree in order tor try and shur it up?

doc henderson

Southside

Quote from: hedgerow on October 24, 2019, 09:05:46 AMMost of the time I wait until one of my firewood helpers is around and I hold them with the skid loader and grapple and he bucks them up

Hedgerow - how often does your help come back?  Not sure I would hang around much if you tried to hold onto me with your skid loader grapple, but to each his own I guess.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!