iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7 leaf ash value

Started by shelbycharger400, June 05, 2011, 11:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

i have yet to determine if its a green or white ash.   its straight for 14 ft, then dose a few degree angle for a few feet then brushes out.    i did a ball park at over 12 dia at 5 ft off ground.     currently its living.  but only 4 ft from my garage and  im planning on also droping 4 red oaks at 12 in dia, 10 ft straight.      the oaks are too close to my house and next year the branches are going to be hitting the house.       what is the value of  the ash and oak currently  right from the mill?           i might have to have a tree service top the ash due to its over 50 ft tall

should i do a straight run all at 1 inch?

WDH

I assume that when you say diameter, that you really mean circumference.  A 12 foot diameter ash would be a National Champion tree.  A 12 foot circumference would equate to an actual diameter of just under 4 feet, so that is still plenty big.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Probably talking about 12 inch diameter.

Just a guess.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

shelbycharger400

oops...yea 12 in dia.  ..      just went out and measured it,   its 95 degree  in the shade  right now

at 1 foot off ground,  2 inches above the stump flair its 64  for circ = 20" dia,   at 5 ft from said ground point,  42 " circumf.= 13in dia.            yea, lot of taper their  but after the 5 ft lenght it dosnt taper as much... and i dont feel like draging out the ladder right now to measure at 8 ft

WDH

Trees are measured at Diameter Breast High (DBH) which is 4.5 feet above the ground.  No need for a ladder!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

Trees that are 12" in diameter aren't worth a great deal of money.  From a mill perspective, they are on the lowest end of the size for any type of production.  As a forester, I would be marking trees like that for thinning that are of poor quality or for improved spacing.

Lumber value gets judged by the amount of defect there is in a board.  For the highest value, a board has to be at least 6" wide and 8' long, and only have 1 defect, at most.  More defect is allowed in wider or longer boards.  But, to get that type of lumber, you would need a much larger log. 

The best lumber lays on the outside of the log.  As you travel through the log, more defects will appear.  That is due to the natural pruning characteristics of the type of tree.  For example, a pin oak will have much more defect than a red oak due to the pin oak's tendency to retain the limbs much longer.  Upper end values for oak and ash in the current market is about $1/bf for the uppers.  The lower grades can drop to about 45¢/bf.  These are commercial values, not retail.

If you have a use for the wood, then it may be worthwhile to have a portable mill come in and mill it up.  If you cut it into logs and haul to a mill, you might be able to get 20¢/bf, depending on size and quality.  Logs are measured inside the bark at the small end.  If you want an idea how much footage there is in either a log or a tree, go to the forum extras at the top of the page or the red tool box on the left hand side.  There are calculators in there that will give you an idea of how much footage you are looking at.  It uses diameter and length.  The length in standing timber is measured in logs, which are 16' long.

Hope this helps.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

shelbycharger400

thanks Ron.   I plan on sawing it at some point.   seems their is a lot of 12" diameter material around in Hardwood.  It Must be something to do with location and such.  Reading somwhere,  the 30's and 40's they really heavily logged minnesota.   Im planning on running the smaller stuff on my mills.     Last year  when i picked up a 6 ft long stump/stem piece of boxelder  it was 31 in across where i cut it off 3 in above the ground,   measurement at just short of 6 ft long,  it was 20 in across.
I paid to have it slabbed at 3 in thick due to my mill not being done.  Took a buddy of mine with a 6 foot Iron pry bar, and me running the 4000 lb electric winch, sliding it up the ramps on plywood ect,  downhill grade just to get it in the trailer.  Never have seen 2x8 decking  bend like that did that day .  The tandem trailer is rated for 12000 lb.     and this was before i had a tractor.   That was way too much work, their was some waste, but i recieved 8 nice slabs delivered.     The mill is out in montrose mn, about  a block from my parents house. 

SwampDonkey

When you saw the lumber, your not going to tell if it's green (red) or white anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The best way to tell them apart is with the fruit.  The wing on the samara of white ash is terminal in that the wing does not extend down the side of the seed, or only slightly.  With green ash, the wing extends down at 1/3rd of the way down on either side of the seed.

Thank You Sponsors!