iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To clip or not to clip, that is the question.

Started by Southside, April 12, 2019, 10:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I got this "Porch Peach" last year for my wife, it did fine and flowered this spring. I noticed that there are two different colors of leaves on two different sets of stems. The stems with red leaves had flowers and the ones with green leaves don't. 

So, I am presuming the green stems are suckers. Do I cut them off at ground level or will they actually benefit the tree? 

Thanks

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BradMarks

So many kinds of fruit trees (I assume porch peach is one!) are grafted, just like roses. Those do look like suckers from the root stock (graft host), which in all likelihood is different than the "porch peach". I would cut them, and it could be an annual activity.

TKehl

Cut them.  They might yield fruit, but generally are inferior or maybe something else in the peach family (Plum, apricot, etc. if memory serves).  Rootstock is selected for hardiness with top stock selected for taste.  

If left alone, often the top will die and the rootstock take over.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Roxie

You'll need to cut them now, and a month from now, and the month after that, and for as long as you own the property it will need to be cut.  A flowering plum convinced me to never ever under any circumstances, ever buy another tree that throws suckers. 

Your mileage may vary.  :D

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!