iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What NOT to do with your tractor

Started by Warbird, January 31, 2014, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I saw that coming. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Den Socling

redprospector

Hahaha. I had a similar experience when I blew the engine in my Fecon FTX-90.
I was on about a 25% slope when the engine quit, got it turned down hill before it quit completely.
The final drive on the Fecon can be unlocked and put in neutral, so I was going to let it off the hill with a Cat 277 tracked skid steer. Everything was going as planned until the pin came out of the grab hook on my chain.  :o
100 yards to the bottom, and that Fecon was doing 25 mph before the dust engulfed it and I couldn't see it anymore.
All I can say is that God can drive a Fecon really good.  :D
That thing went all the way to the bottom and never hit a tree or anything else. It came to a stop in the middle of the ranch road right behind the trailer I was going to load it on.
Had it hit that 20" DBH Douglas Fir, I'm pretty sure I would have been loading scrap iron, and my insurance co. would have been unhappy.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its under warranty.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sawguy21

That is definitely an AAAAWWW  moment. Might have been a good idea to secure those slings and block the wheels. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

It appears gravity is still quite reliable.

Not sure why that guy wanted to stand in-between the two machines?

Ljohnsaw

Ouch.  If the operator just didn't extend the bucket when it moved on him...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

hardtailjohn

With that many "safety vests" and hardhats, you knew something bad was bound to happen!!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 31, 2014, 08:43:25 PMI saw that coming. 
I saw it going.  :D  I wish that the camera had been on their faces.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I laughed :D, not sure why, that was funny to watch this morning,         david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

I'm wondering why the backhoe operator didn't set the park brake before he climbed out.  :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Now the only different thing that would have happened in my little world is the next most expensive piece of equiptment I own would have been parked directly down hill from the tractor, and no it wouldn't have hit any trees on the way down either  :D.

Chuck White

Wow, that got me going and I didn't have a nickle in it!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

It reminded me of a clip I had seen on TV years ago, it was the same idea except they were using a wrecker to upright the backhoe and when the  backhoe went down the hill it took the wrecker with it rolling sideways.

Who knows they might have been lucky that it unhooked!

I did lay one over once when it slid sideways off a sloped lawn, the other side of the ditch stopped it from laying down flat, so I put the leg down and flipped it back up.

Qweaver

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sprucebunny

Ya, dumb.
They didn't think too far ahead, position the excavator well, or attach the slings well...
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pigman

Quote from: WmFritz on February 01, 2014, 09:57:08 AM
I'm wondering why the backhoe operator didn't set the park brake before he climbed out.  :D :D :D
If the backhoe operator was smart enough to set the brake they would have been smart enough to not turn the backhoe over. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warbird

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 31, 2014, 11:51:23 PM
It appears gravity is still quite reliable.

Not sure why that guy wanted to stand in-between the two machines?
LOL  Yup!  I liked the one guy who walked away, toward the camera, with a funny look on his face.  I imagine it was probably the case of a 'low level worker' who tried to speak up and got overrode by a white-hat (supervisor).  If so, this is a good example to leaders everywhere.  LISTEN to your people!

r.man

I expect he wanted to disassociate himself with what was about to happen, and be far enough away that he could laugh without getting fired. Did you hear the tree breaking noises as the machine rolled away?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

clww

Quote from: hardtailjohn on February 01, 2014, 01:33:38 AM
With that many "safety vests" and hardhats, you knew something bad was bound to happen!!
:D :D :D
I was thinking, "At least they had their vests on". ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

clww

Quote from: r.man on February 01, 2014, 03:55:46 PM
Did you hear the tree breaking noises as the machine rolled away?
That was the sound of their jaws dropping to the ground. smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Coon

Wonder if it ended up in the drink at the bottom or if the trees stopped it.  :D   :D  Can just about picture the next scene in "The Battle of the Brainless Wonders"   :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Warbird

Yeah,  heard the trees snapping like twigs.  If you watch close, you can see the treetops quivering as they get hit.  Sure hope no one was at the bottom where it landed!

Thank You Sponsors!