iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clark ranger 664 disection

Started by treeslayer2003, April 12, 2015, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tantoy

Good work, reminds me of what I was doing about a year ago on my Garrett :)
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

teakwood

Keep the pics coming! Very intersting! :)
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

treeslayer2003

had a couple hours, started striping it down. here we can see the converter separated from the engine. this fiber gear is whats wrong when a clark will run but do nothing.

seabee, idk if you can see it, but what do you think of the gear? all teeth are there, only a little flaking from the edges. i have a good used one just like it. it is the fiber, not the hard plastic.

beenthere

Camera flash not working? All pretty dark from what I see (or don't see  :) )

Looks like a project tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

i may have had the flash off......sorry.......modern technology lol

North River Energy

Check the diameter difference on the converter pilot stud and it's bore.  The last fibre I did had been pounded to death on account of a worn bushing.
If memory serves, it went back together with a tight clearance/slip fit. Maybe a few thousandths?

treeslayer2003

who here is hot on detroits? seabee? kiko? bushmechanic? i have geartrain timing questions..........i been reading lol, do i want std, or advanced? the book says all later engines had advanced........i read some where this can cause overheating.

back story; this engine was rebuilt just before i got it, it was never right, hard to start, took a second to spool up and would over heat easy in the summer. i put in a new radiator,water pump, stat and fan to no avail. a tune up with new injectors did not help. it did not use any oil or water.

so far the head looks good, cam and rollers look good. i knew it had a bad piston but it was screwy before that happened. i want to straighten her out while i'm here with it out and apart.
any body got any insights?

bushmechanic

Go with the normal timing on that 353 and rebuild it right and you will get years out of that old beast. Where are the marks on it now? Take a pic so we can see. I use an old service manual and have never had issues with hard starting when rebuilding, but in saying that they can be very confusing with all the marks for the left and right hand engines all on the same gear. Also there are many versions of rebuild, if you know what I mean.The best being the dupont overhaul  :D

treeslayer2003

Quote from: bushmechanic on April 23, 2015, 08:41:28 PM
Go with the normal timing on that 353 and rebuild it right and you will get years out of that old beast. Where are the marks on it now? Take a pic so we can see. I use an old service manual and have never had issues with hard starting when rebuilding, but in saying that they can be very confusing with all the marks for the left and right hand engines all on the same gear. Also there are many versions of rebuild, if you know what I mean.The best being the dupont overhaul  :D
i have the manual. that is my thought as well to use standard timing, glad to hear you say that. supposedly they did a complete but who knows. liners are not wore, i will replace the bad piston.
i don't have the back off yet, i need a stand or to build feet, pics will be forthcoming then.
i suspect they timed it advanced, only thing i can think of would make it act that way......but i'm open to suggestions.

ga jones

Sounds to me like they had it advanced.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

treeslayer2003

Quote from: nhlogga on May 13, 2015, 01:46:13 AM
How's the project coming?
i ain't had time to mess with it much lately. i did make a plate to mount it to a stand.

treeslayer2003

ok, i finely got back to this. i swore this thing had a bad piston.........they look fine, as do the liners and head. what else would make it slap and miss?

North River Energy

Are the clearances on the wrist pin bushings/con rod bearings all the same, and are all the rods the same/same length/straight?
Do the cylinder bores measure the same, and is there any taper/oval?

If all clearances are at or very close to the wear limits, there is a possibility that if the rings were renewed when the engine was 'rebuilt', they wouldn't seat properly, and thus compression would be uneven. 
Once the engine got up to speed, the effect would become somewhat less significant/noticeable, but things just wouldn't be 'right'.

This is not specific to the 53, but based on an automotive situation I ran into years ago.

loggah

Bent rods will cause a engine to act really numb they only got to shorten the throw by a few thousands to change timing and compression, i had a 4-71 in a barko  that had 4 tweeked rods ,start hard and wouldnt rev up very high .
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

treeslayer2003

rods look good loggah. but i do know what your saying, i seen that before from water intrusion.

treeslayer2003

treeslayer2003

timing, standard timing all the Os sould line up at some point right? i can't get any thing to line up but the cam and balance gear Os, nuthing else ever lines up. tell me this is whats been wrong with this engine.

snowstorm

i ran into that with a iveco. had all the timing marks lined up you could turn the crank over and over and they would not line up again. so i asked someone that had worked on them for a long time. he said they will line up again just may have to turn it a 100 times

treeslayer2003

Quote from: snowstorm on August 21, 2015, 08:46:54 PM
i ran into that with a iveco. had all the timing marks lined up you could turn the crank over and over and they would not line up again. so i asked someone that had worked on them for a long time. he said they will line up again just may have to turn it a 100 times
guess i'll have to turn it 50 more times tomorrow lol

teakwood

Correct me if i am wrong but should they line up every second rev? Like a 4 stroke

treeslayer2003

Quote from: teakwood on August 22, 2015, 09:18:44 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but should they line up every second rev? Like a 4 stroke
can't remember teak........the cam either turns the same speed or twice as fast. i just can't remember. in any event, i am fairly certain its been turned over enough that if they were ever gonna line up they would have............now where are all the mechanics?

teakwood

But you seem to be a good mechanic not?

treeslayer2003

also, to the mechanics, would you run those pistons again? them shiny spots bug me as does the play at the wrist pin.....................

treeslayer2003

Quote from: teakwood on August 22, 2015, 09:22:33 AM
But you seem to be a good mechanic not?
lol, i am super good at replicating what i see. i can take any thing apart and put it back together..........but now, things i did 20 years ago are getting foggy.....don't trust myself lol. really just looking for opinions. and i never ran into this timing thing before.

Thank You Sponsors!