iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2171 vs. 2166

Started by SnoJetter, March 09, 2021, 09:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on March 11, 2022, 09:03:45 AM
Never quite figured out the photo thing here. Posted some pics a few years back but they were deleted cause they weren't in my gallery? Never looked into it after that, maybe it's time for a look.
It's kinda weird....you post pics in your own gallery, give it a name and then when you wish to post here, it will ask you which gallery/file.

Kevin

beenthere

Kevin
There can be sub folders in your gallery. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: Spike60 on March 11, 2022, 09:03:45 AM
Never quite figured out the photo thing here. Posted some pics a few years back but they were deleted cause they weren't in my gallery? Never looked into it after that, maybe it's time for a look.
Go to the home page, and near the bottom of the list you will find the primer on posting pics.
Put your pics in your gallery, and then link to them from within your post. Good, simple system but have to follow along in right order.

Updated Photo Posting Tutorial in Technical Support Topics
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Spike60

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

Photos as promised:

Kodiakmac

Nice looking saw.  Looks well cared for.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

DHansen

Real1shepherd

donbj

That's a beauty of a saw. I came across my 2065 about a year and a half ago in much the same condition. There was practically no use on it. It's a 2000 model year.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

SnoJetter

That 2065 is a beaut!

How many of these big saws were purchased by a guy who thought he needed the power or a long bar only to discover he didn't use it much at all?  And 10 or 20 years later, the second owner is the lucky guy who finds a shiny, low hour saw?  I know I don't have a lot of use for a saw of this size.  I'd say I average one tree per year that would justify this saw - some years more, some years none.  Hopefully that means the shine will remain for a long time!

I pulled out one of my 2159's to noodle a few elm rounds this weekend.  When I got that done, I had some small stuff (2" to 6") on my my sawbuck to cut down for the firewood piles.  I decided to just keep using the 2159 rather than go warm up one my 50cc limbers.  I was surprised how quickly my arms got tired when you don't have a large log to carry the weight of the saw!  Further proof why the 50cc size is my favorite; but I wouldn't want to rely on them for everything.

SnoJetter

Here's one of those rare trees I come across that justifies my purchase of the 2166.  This ash measures 20" across at the cut, about 24" at ground level.  The tree has been dying over the last several years and finally this summer the last of the crown lost it's leaves mid-summer.  Being close to the house, I knew it needed to come down on my terms, not on the whim of a random gust of wind.  I waited until winter being the top would be coming down into a marshy area and I wanted it frozen.  The tree was weighted away from the house, but it also was growing from a sidehill.  The angle of the hill was playing tricks with me: I was pretty sure it was leaning away from the house, but there was enough of a crook in the stem that maybe it could be be leaning towards the house.  To be sure, I did something I've never done before.  I grabbed my 4ft level and laid it up against the center of the stem where I could clearly see a slight lean away from the house.  I jabbed a wedge into the back cut just to be sure, but it was clear pretty quickly this tree was going the direction I wanted it to go.  It's nice to have a problem tree down and no longer threatening the house.

In the past, I would have done this job with an 18" bar and a Stihl 026 or the 20" on my 029 (but the 029 just felt underpowered with that large of a bar in thick wood).  Running small bore saws in large wood for so long, I'm used to the cuts taking a fair amount of time to complete.  I've now come to learn that being able to make each cut quickly is an asset with large trees.  For example, once the tree starts to move, being able to maneuver the angle of the back cut to direct the fall works much better when the wood is eaten away quickly.  Granted, that can work against you if you cut too much too quickly or take too much from the wrong side.  But it's better to have the ability to cut quickly and be able to back off than not be able to cut quickly enough.  With the 2166, from notch to fall was accomplished in just a couple of minutes where I'm sure it would have been 2 to 3 times as much time if I were using the smaller saw.  This is new territory for me working with this much power...and I'm loving it!

Anyway, here's a few pics from the day.  I'm pleased to report the tree is all solid except for a 4ft section about 30 feet up.  This will be warming the house in 3 or 4 years.  I've got 4 other ash this big and larger that are showing less and less foliage every year, so I'll be repeating this process again over the next several years.

Spike60

Cool that you brought this thread back up with some on the job pics. What saw are you going to break down the top with? 

Nice to have plenty of options even though it's hard to make the argument that a lot of different size saws are necessary. Truth is they really aren't necessary, and someone will no doubt say they'd do the whole tree with one saw. That's cool too. Just not as much fun.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

barbender

I don't really have much for toys like a side by side, muscle car, snowmobile, or speed boat. But when I have the slightest use for a different chainsaw, I go get one. Small, big, in between😁 They are my practical "motorhead" fix😊
Too many irons in the fire

DHansen

Excellent job dropping that right where you wanted it to go.  Some real nice fire wood there.  Ash burns nice.  Great looking saw and lots of fun.  It's nice when a chore can still be enjoyable and having the right tool make a big difference.  

SnoJetter

Quote from: Spike60 on January 17, 2023, 02:40:47 PM
Cool that you brought this thread back up with some on the job pics. What saw are you going to break down the top with?

Nice to have plenty of options even though it's hard to make the argument that a lot of different size saws are necessary. Truth is they really aren't necessary, and someone will no doubt say they'd do the whole tree with one saw. That's cool too. Just not as much fun.  :)
Quote from: barbender on January 17, 2023, 07:32:01 PM
I don't really have much for toys like a side by side, muscle car, snowmobile, or speed boat. But when I have the slightest use for a different chainsaw, I go get one. Small, big, in between😁 They are my practical "motorhead" fix😊
Guys - I'd have to agree.  More saws is completely unnecessary, but a nice luxury to have.  Rather than bring the oil and gas jugs to the cutting site, sometimes I'll bring two of the same size saw and run 'em both.  In that first picture where the tree fell, that area up to the clump of brush on the right side was not cleared until a couple weeks ago.  My property is infested with buckthorn (and poison ivy) and to get this ash tree down was a good excuse to start clearing a bunch of it (not the poison ivy).  For that job, I spent a few afternoons running the GZ5000 and one of my 2152's or the GZ5000 and one of my 535's.  Once the saws tanks were drained I was tired enough from trudging through the snow, dragging tangled tops all over and disposing of them it was time to quit.  It was a bigger job than it looked!
I can't imagine using the 2166 for cutting up the entire tree. Once I had this big stem bucked, I fired up the GZ5000 to finish the job.  I've been reaching for that saw quite often lately, primarily to run enough fuel through it for break in.  But I it's also quickly becoming one of my favorite saws to use.  This tree is all cut up now ready for splitting so plenty more work to do!

SnoJetter

Quote from: DHansen on January 17, 2023, 09:14:01 PM
Excellent job dropping that right where you wanted it to go.  Some real nice fire wood there.  Ash burns nice.  Great looking saw and lots of fun.  It's nice when a chore can still be enjoyable and having the right tool make a big difference.  
Thanks D.  Ash is my primary fuel type, probably 60% of what I burn.  Being it splits so nice and I can easily get 12 hour burns in the stove, I'd be ok if it was the only wood I ever had.  We had a couple spring storms blow through and it took down two oaks and another ash.  The ash I cleaned up already but the oaks will "require" the big saw again.  Bummer... ;D

DHansen

Spike60

Counting the number of tanks of fuel is a "measuring stick" I use myself now and then. When they're empty, I'm empty.   :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!