iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Saftey Work Boot

Started by Hunter, March 30, 2004, 04:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Was wondering what You all wear on your feet while using a saw. I know its not pure chainsaw topic, But I am in search of a Really Comfortable boot to use in the woods and when I clear lots, but dont want to sacrifice  on the safety side. A buddy of mine cut his toe the other day, and no steel toed boots.
Thanks for your time,
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Stephen_Wiley

Hunter,

Your subject is not off the topic here. In fact it has been discussed before.

You have a couple of options:

Boots with steel toe and additonal linings

or

Chainsaw  slip-overs (kevlar)  These can be worn over any boot and are the first point of contact with the saw.

Now I'll let the others chime in with their favorites.  I personally have not tried the slip overs.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

OneWithWood

In the summer I wear a pair of steel toed Wolverines with cushioned insoles.  In the winter I wear a high topped pair of caulked boots I got from Bailey's.  Sometimes in the spring I will wear the high boots when working in tops and heavy brush in case I startle a timber rattler. :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MrMoo

Hunter,
Last year I decided it was worth the money and bought a pair of chainsaw boots. They weren't inexpensive but I figured I only have 2 feet and I like them.
I bought boots made by Matterhorn - model 12277. They are like a military boot and are 10" tall. Once they are broken in they are fine. My only complaint is that in summer they are warm. They have steel toes and 7 layers of Kevlar. Everything on them is well made.
I searched around for the best price and found that New England Shoe was the place to get them.
Here is a link to the page and then scroll down to model 12277
http://newenglandshoe.com/matterhorn4.asp

Mike

Kevin

All the chainsaw dealers here carry the boots and there is at least one work boot retailer in town that has several pair to choose from.

Hunter

Thanks for the replies.
I have been cutting in a steel toe boot, but its so uncomfortable.
I am looking really hard into other types of work boots that are comfortable.
Has anyone tried the Dura-shocks with the non metalic safety toe?
 Could be a possible ticket, alot lighter and maybe warmer in the winter.
Thanks
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Bronco

Hunter:

For less expensive chainsaw boots I found some by Labonville and some similar boots by Swedepro.  They are both avaialble on the web for $160.00.  I don't have a link for you but, you'll find both if you do a search.

tawilson

QuoteHunter,
Chainsaw  slip-overs (kevlar)  These can be worn over any boot and are the first point of contact with the saw.
I've looked for something like this and I think I've asked about it here before. Where do you get these? I've even thought about making some from some old chaps.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

oldsaw-addict

I've been using a pair of steel toe boots from Kmart for about 5 years on one pair, they lasted a long time, then I gave them to a friend because I dont use them anymore.

I recently switched from the heavy steel toe boots to a pair of Survivor Commanders for less weight, pleny of insulation and more cushioning under my heels, which was driving me NUTS with hard heel boots on my feet all day.I like the commanders better because they are lighter and cheaper at about $40 a pair, available at Wal Mart. I am thus far super happy with the way they feel and look on my feet, if they were a little bit lower hight at the toe I'd be able to get my toe through the rear handle of my saws to hold the saw while I start it.

My jungle boots that Altama manufactures for the armed forces are nice too, they have the vents in the sides nylon uppers and a real aggressive panama sole that grips well in almost every type of material you could be in. my only complaint with them is that they let water in through the vents and get my feet wet if I walk through more than 1" of H2O.

Overall my boots serve me well, particularly the commanders for comfort.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

jokers

Hunter,

If the steel toe is uncomfortable for you, the shoe must not fit right.

I`ve worn all types of safety toe shoes and the best, most easily obtainable steel toe logger for me is made by Red Wing. Red Wing makes different width toe caps for different width shoes, this is very important if you have a wide foot.

They are a little heavy but you don`t notice it after a while, you just get stronger, LOL. I always get the insulated models but with the linings they have, they wick the perspiration away and are more comfortable than the unlined models. The steel shanks are also nice if you`re in your gaffs and I get very good life from them. Here`s a true account of one pair I had for 15 years. I have quite a few pairs so some are pretty old. Anyway, the sole started to come unstitched from the boot on one of the pair. I took them back to where I buy them for a warranty(lifetime) repair. Now keep in mind that the tread was worn, the leather cracked, and there were a couple of chainsaw tracks across the toes. The dealer took a look at them and called RW, who then offered me a new pair for $25. You can`t beat that!

I`ve also had many pairs of Woverine Dura Shocks with the composite toe that I wear when I know that I will be going through metal detectors frequently, as I sometimes do. Let me tell you this, since they moved production to China, quality and fit has gone right into the crapper. I`ve found that some black leather and nylon mesh Bates tactical boots are much more comfortable, but waterproof they`re not.

Russ

Frickman

I've purchased all kinds of boots over the years, and there are only two I like. I have narrow, small feet, size 7, so it's hard to find a good fit. I get steel toed, kevlar lined logger's boots with a higher heel from a place called Foresters Friend in 84, PA. They are very comfortable for woods work, and very durable. Mine are insulated  so they do get hot in summer. The other boots I wear are called Brahma, $39.99 at Wally's World. They are a steel toed general work boot and are great around the mill and farm. I even go hunting in them when it's not bitter cold. I buy several pairs at a time and keep extras in the closet. There are two pairs there now. They are a China made boot, but hold up pretty good. I can get most of two years wear from a pair. Some of the other local loggers are wearing boots they get from Stihl. They are a nice, well made boot, but just too wide for me.

I've seen some of those slip on kevlar protectors advertised in Timberline. Maybe someone else has a copy handy to tell you the name of the company.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Stan

QuoteThey are a little heavy but you don`t notice it after a while, you just get stronger, LOL.

Ah sweet bird of youth.  :'(
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

MemphisLogger

My cousin and I religiously wear Timberland Pro steel toe boots from Sears. They're built like a lighter weight hiking boot but have fairly substantial ankles and a better arch than any workboot I've ever had. They cost about $80 and last a good year of daily wear.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Preston

Hey Hunter,
My favorite boot and alot of us loggers out west and in alaska wear this boot! The boot is hand made in Spokane, WA its name would be Whites heres there web for you to take a look! www.advertisenow.com/whites/white.html  They are a little on the spendy side but a darn good but they also bought out hawthorn boots I do believe! I think to they also send a some things to you to measure out your foot and asch and all the futures they need to know about the measurements on your foot! Its been awhile since I bought a pair btu love the way they mold to your feet!
Preston
Preston

barbender

Just some thoughts here- a good steel toe boot is as comfortable to me as a regular boot, but I've seen many boots where the toe cap is on crooked, leaned back, or otherwise misaligned.  You would be miserable wearing those and I think that is where steel toes get their bad reputation.  When you try on a new pair of boots, if you can feel the steel toe those boots will make you suffer. I'm amazed that manufacturers can't get it right and still sell boots, but I find when I go to find a new pair about 1 out of 5 or six boots in the same size, same model will fit right (length, width, steel toe cap, heel cup not too narrow so it doesn't dig into you're heel, etc.)  So just be real picky and try on lots of pairs. My wife hates going with me when I'm boot shopping, usually turns into an all day project with me spending about 2 1/2 hours in each store trying on boots before I finally pick a pair.  I hate it too, I'd rather go fishing on my day off, but if I don't spend the time I end up with boots that hurt my feet and make me suffer every day for the next year.  I work on a paving crew in the summer, lots of time on the feet, and the boots only last about a year no matter the brand because the heat just kinda makes them fall apart.  But we aren't talkin paving we're talkin chainsaw boots- Don't trust a steel toe to protect you from a saw. They may protect the end of your toes but the bridge of your foot is completely exposed. Real saw boots cover this area with kevlar or something I think. I have been looking at some Husqvarna brand saw boots that have a kevlar sheild that extends up in between the laces a ways- looks like a good boot just have to scrape up the $230 to get a pair.  Russ, I've seen the quality of the wolverines go down too, since they went to china.  Same thing with Rockies.  they used to be the one brand that I could walk up to the shelf, grab my 10 1/2W, try em on and they fit the first pair, and they lasted forever.  Last pair I bought(Chinese) I spent about three hours finding a pair that fit. Maybe I'm just too picky( thats what my wife says)
Too many irons in the fire

jokers

Most people aren`t going to be productive if their feet hurt. I believe that doing whatever it takes to get comfy boots is important.

BTW, I`ve been jonesin for a pair of White`s, just haven`t had the faith to put that kind of money in the mail for boots that I`ve never seen or even get to try on before I buy them.

Russ

Frickman

Jokers, Who said you had to put money in the mail? Sounds like a road trip is in order. Take a week off and go see the country, and pick up a pair while you're out west.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Larry

A friend gave me a set up of the slip on's.  After one day I gave them to another friend.  When I climbed utility poles 30 years ago, Red Wing or Wolverine were the only boots.  Out in the woods today I use an old pair of steel toe Red Wings.  Found a product called SNO-SEAL which will keep the leather from cracking and also seal up the chainsaw tracks.  Around the mill I use a set of cheap Sears boots with a fiberglass toe.  Comfortable and light but I don't work a full day.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tawilson

Larry,
What didn't you like about the slipons? And where did your friend get them? I thought they'd be useful because I could wear a steel toed shoe I know is comfortable and still have the protection across the bridge, as barbender mentioned. I know I can order a pair of the boots with the kevlar, but prefer to try them on before spending that kind of money.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Larry

Can't remember where they came from but I'll try to find out.  I didn't like them because they wouldn't stay tight on my boot and slid around.

When I was in the service 35 years ago we had to wear a clamp on steel thing over our boots when running a lawn mover.  They were heavy but fit tight and protected the whole foot.  Don't know if they even make such a thing today.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!