iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E Classic 2300

Started by dkfearon, September 10, 2011, 07:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkfearon

Has anybody ever changed the door gasket from the one they send you in a kit to fiberglass rope that is used on all stove doors?  at least when you open the door and get a flash fire your gasket wont burn and be ruined.

doctorb

I just changed mine to the standard one they supply.  I began to have some slight gasket issues in the middle of last winter, which was my second year of burning.  They did not affect the efficiency of the stove.

The rope you use, if you choose to go that direction, has to be very thick.  It must be able to be indented by the raised rim it aligns with on the stove side of the door.

While I always get some smoke whern I open the firebox, I don't get a lot of flash fires.  Are you opening the damper for 15 sec. prior to opening the firebox door?  I have also found it helpful to not fill the 2300 too often.  As long as it's working well, fill it and let it burn for at least 10-12 hours untouched.  By then the fire is mostly coals, and flash-ups are rare.  If you open the door all the way, the fire's ability to burn your gasket is pretty minimal.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!