iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Normal Un Safe Routine Cost Me Today

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 26, 2018, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red on March 26, 2018, 09:29:25 PM
Were you wearing Sneakers ?   Do you think boots would have helped?  I think it may have happened because you don't like NY Style pizza .
DANNY'S New York Style Pizza!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don P

You know what happens to lame livestock, we're rootin for you
Mainly cause goat ain't worth the freezer space :)

I did sorta the same thing as starmac, hobbled off a wicked "sprain" for several months then a few years later hopped off the k-boom and sprained it again lightly but sorta went lame. I finally went in to the ortho doc and told him I couldn't walk unless I was looking at the ground every step. He took some pics and said "when did you break your leg". I had wrapped it up good back then, turned out it healed up well enough but it tore one of those ligaments down there and then the k-boom sprain finished it off. He said "look ahead and stand on just that one leg", I would have failed a sobriety check, couldn't do it. Turns out we get feedback from our feet to our brain and then back to the muscles that instantly balances us without any thought. When we mess up some part of that the feedback loop is broken, I was compensating using vision. They did some pt to retrain it and I still try to stand on one leg, should do it more, for about 10 second stretches to keep it tuned up. Yoga helps too, I try to watch my wife doing that every morning.

doctorb

Sprains can swell dramatically.  This is not rare, regardless of the doc's amazement.

With all that swelling, light compression and elevation higher than your heart is the best medicine.  Although more costly, I occasionally place bad sprains into a boot or even a cast, after the intial swelling decreases.  Patients get to walk sooner with the increased support that is simply not afforded by ace wraps.  Ice, Ice, Ice.  

Get well soon.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Doc. Boot will be here in the morning. I got a little ice on it but I can't stand cold!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Don P on March 26, 2018, 09:34:49 PM
You know what happens to lame livestock, we're rootin for you
Mainly cause goat ain't worth the freezer space :)

I did sorta the same thing as starmac, hobbled off a wicked "sprain" for several months then a few years later hopped off the k-boom and sprained it again lightly but sorta went lame. I finally went in to the ortho doc and told him I couldn't walk unless I was looking at the ground every step. He took some pics and said "when did you break your leg". I had wrapped it up good back then, turned out it healed up well enough but it tore one of those ligaments down there and then the k-boom sprain finished it off. He said "look ahead and stand on just that one leg", I would have failed a sobriety check, couldn't do it. Turns out we get feedback from our feet to our brain and then back to the muscles that instantly balances us without any thought. When we mess up some part of that the feedback loop is broken, I was compensating using vision. They did some pt to retrain it and I still try to stand on one leg, should do it more, for about 10 second stretches to keep it tuned up. Yoga helps too, I try to watch my wife doing that every morning.
DanG Don.....your story sounds like my Kohler engine.  :D

samandothers

Quote from: doctorb on March 26, 2018, 09:41:53 PM
Sprains can swell dramatically.  This is not rare, regardless of the doc's amazement.

Could be an issue of a human Dr being involved where a large animal vet should have been called in!

Hope swelling and pain goes soon!

Don P

QuoteDanG Don.....your story sounds like my Kohler engine.  
We're out of warranty, drive the wheels off it  :D
I'm the same way, Ice makes no difference other than making you miserable.

Banjo picker

Hope you heal up ok.  Too much of them good pain meds. and you won't be littering the ground with those little round balls if you know what I mean.   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

starmac

Wild turkey works much better than Ice, not sure about it's effects on a goat though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

DPatton

Better let that wheel heal my friend. It looks mighty sore indeed. Hopefully you will be back on it soon.

Did anyone else smell a bit of goat hoof aroma while looking at the photos? ;D ;D ;D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Quote from: Don P on March 26, 2018, 09:34:49 PMYoga helps too, I try to watch my wife doing that every morning.

I do the same when my wife does her Pilates, very relaxing indeed.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

All kidding aside.. :D   from your description you probably looked like one of those "fainting goats" laying by the loader. 8)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ESFted

I feel your pain.  Done the same thing more than once (slow learner).  Each time you do it it gets worse.  Last time it swelled up like a cantaloupe and I was in a boot for a month.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

YellowHammer

That looks painful indeed.  I wonder if there is any way to get your imsurance to pay to retrofit your sawmill with the WM riding chair?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Roxie

Paratrooper exit from a backhoe, at your age?  think_not

You're not a kid anymore.  If you were, you'd know how to do the move without risking a fetlock.

goat simulator- how to get paraslipper goat (parachute) walkthrough - YouTube

To show that I'm really just an old softie, pm me your mailing address, and I'll mail you a lovely Shepherd's Pie, from a recipe that Danny gave me. 

Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't want any Shepard's Pie connected with Danny.
But you could make me one of those famous Roxie Tin Can Cassarols.
Yum! 😍😍😍

Ed_K

I like to take your place as kick a goat when he's down, butt pretty sure I'd sprain both ankles jumping off anything. Here's hoping you heel quickly ;).
Ed K

Raider Bill

I'd almost rather break my ankle than a bad sprain. Seems to heal quicker providing there's no hardware involved.
Oh and get a hair cut.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 27, 2018, 08:10:55 AM
I'd almost rather break my ankle than a bad sprain. Seems to heal quicker providing there's no hardware involved.
Oh and get a hair cut.
Everything you've said I've heard for a day and a half.  :D :D :D

petefrom bearswamp

Sounds like a forced vacation
Get well soon David
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

It is a good recipe, but you have to boil the old goat for a long long time.  Goats can be tough and stingy, and fractious, especially if they are wearing a boot. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Too bad, Hope you get well soon, Maybe rub some grits on it might help. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Roxie

How are you feeling today?  Did you get the air boot?  Are you still alive?  Did your wife kill you yet? 

Inquiring minds need to know.
Say when

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!