iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by Dave989, October 27, 2015, 12:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave989

What is the going price for black walnut lumber? Grade 1 and grade 2? I live in central Wisconsin.
Check out our Facebook page Timber Beast Sawmilling.
Dave and Hannah

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dave989.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Seaman

Welcome to FF ! Call around to local ( two or three state area) wood sellers, and check internet.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Fedge

Walnut is tough to price because its perceived value often out weighs its actual market value. I would say that I see about $4 per bd/ft for 1 common. I haven't seen any pricing on #2 common but my guess would be around $2.50 I am assuming that the lumber is KD.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

4x4American

Green, kiln dried, air dried?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave989

I'm buying a couple of logs. 22 inch diameter. They will be air dried or sold green. Wanted to know what I could potentially sell the lumber for. Ultimately I would like to have it sold before cutting it up.
Dave and Hannah

4x4American

Sawed some black walnut today

Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

N I C E !

Nice lookin' Walnut!

We don't get much of it in this area!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Thanks, my friend dropped two big uns of em at his job down south a piece so that his boss could get better satellite reception lol
Boy, back in my day..

Brad_bb

Sold rough or planed?  The more processing you do usually adds more value.  What thickness?  $2.50-$6.50 a BF depending on quality, processing, and customer willing to pay, assuming it's dried before sale.  Lot of factors at play here.

What price are you buying the logs at?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

I too am curious on what it'd be worth selling it rough and green.  I have two buyers interested.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave989

I'm going to pay $125 for approximately 500 board feet. 2 logs about 22 inch diameter plus a dozen around 5 inch diameter.
Dave and Hannah

deadfall

What I have seen around here with BW, the smaller the log, the thicker the sapwood.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

They definitely put enough sapwood in it!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

So what's a reasonable rate per foot to charge for say 12/4 green rough walnut?  What about 4/4 or 5/4 stock?
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

How does $2/ft sound?  I put add on CL and I've gotten 2 emails and 2 calls in a couple hours.  I've sold hard maple for $1.50/ft before, ruff and green, so I don't think $2 is too crazy.  I've gotten requests for boards, 4" thick mantel 12" wide 7' long, one guy wanted 3" thick 12-16" quarter/rift sawn, the logs are big but I don't think that big!  Especially after sapwood I'm not sure I'll be able to get qs material that wide.  I have yet to return the calls because I'm undecided but I'm starting to thinking $2-2.50/ft might fly seeing as how it's uncommon around here and I've gotten rapid responses to my ad.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!