iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cat 3406b

Started by coxy, March 20, 2018, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

today it lost fuel pressure we changed both filters and still in the red runs ok but not as much power and when you hit the jake brake the pressure goes to almost nothing  any idea what it is 

starmac

Transfer pump, not sure what the jake would have to do with that though.
Do you gave a gauge on it to monitor the fuel pressure, if so what is it reading at an idle?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

ya the pressure reads red all the time but as soon as you hit the jake it goes to almost nothing even at full throttle with no load it reads half in the red at load pulling a hill it reads half red i thought the gauge took a crap every thing has been good till this AM errrrrrrr

mike_belben

I do not know that pump at all but im gonna guess it is a plunger off a cam lobe?  If its a spring and piston style like a mechanical cummins 6bt then you can have busted a spring or one of the little one way valves broken.  

If its a gear style lift pump then maybe a bad relief thats letting it bypass pressure.  Busted spring, trash in the seat etc.  

Does the high pressure gallery have a return line back to tank with a regulator in line?   On most bosch inline pumps they call it an overflow valve and its a spring loaded steel check ball in the banjo bolt tee fitting.  The overflow valve spring preload determines the pressure inside the plunger gallery.  If you shim those up and dont get a pressure rise, it suggests a weak lift pump or flow reduction upstream of the lift pump. 

Delaminated internal hose on the suction side?  Gummed on sump screen inside tank?  I had styrofoam and a sponge floating around inside a tank once.  Plugged up the drawstraw now and then.

Again, just general mechanical pump considerations.  Sorry i cant be more model specific
Praise The Lord

starmac

Well if it is running in the red all the time it will naturally fall off some when the rpms drop, But the only think I could think of is the jake drops the rpms drop quicker,, so it seems like it is what is causing it.
It is rare, rare and even rarer than that for a fuel pressure gauge to still be working in anything any where close to the age of a B model.

Any shop should have a good gauge to check pressure right at the engine and tell the problem, I have a quick connect on my e model, I keep meaning to put one on my b model, so I can check pressure when servicing.

Firewoodjoe

Do those have a return line you can pinch off with vise grips? I know on a series 60 that will increase pressure to test it quick.

starmac

Yes, they do have a return line, but you can test it without pinching it off. a good gauge will tell you exactly what it is doing.

mike_belben

Hes saying to test if the pump is the issue.  Just gotta be sure its not a wire braid hose youre clamping.  

Jake will drop revs and further reduce pump flow so its still inline with the premise of low lift pump pressure.  Too much internal leakage or twoo much restriction on the suction side.  I have seen algae plug up a drawstraw pretty good too.  
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Most trucks have vise grips under the seat but not a ready to plum test gauge.

ga jones

Internal hose collapse. Common with the  B
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

starmac

I doubt cat ever made a b model without a test port.
The fuel lines deterioting is common on any of them  as they get older, and the b model has not been produced since 93 or so.
Generally you can find evidence of bad fuel lines in the filters. Many b models had a screen for the primary filter, have you pulled it out and cleaned it?

coxy

I'm sorry guys its 3406e don't know what i was thinking when i put b in there  i think we got it fixed  it has always had a Baldwin filter on it and we changed it to a napa gold the only thing that was gold about it was the price 46$  :o :o we put a Baldwin filter back on it was fine  i had some trouble with napa filters in the past with my tranny over heating in my cat skidder went back to a cat filter and things was fine the cat guy told me its because of the different micron filters  

Skeans1

For the price of a napa or baldwin filter you can get a 1r-0749 or 1r-0750 filter heck you can get them cheaper then the off brand filter.

mike_belben

That little letter changes everything dont it?
Praise The Lord

coxy

ya it changes the price on parts in a big way also  :D

starmac

I buy several fuel filters at a time for my E model, but I have never paid that much for them, and I buy them at the KW dealer and cat filters only, that price seems spendy to me. It has been a couple of years since I have bought any, and I don't remember the price, but I can assure you it was not 40 bucks a pop.

What kind of pressure is your pump putting out, I like mine to be close to 100 pounds at idle and get a little over at 1500 rpms, I have had to shim a couple to get the pressure right, some people just stretches the spring too though.

sealark37

NAPA went the way of Fram quality-wise some years ago.  I guess they thought we would not notice.  Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!