Sears Saw

Started by sawwood, April 22, 2004, 06:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

Is there a site or can some one tell me what size of Sears
 chain saw i have. Its a older model that has a comp release
 and had at one time a chain sharping thing uner the chain
 cover. The model number you can not read all of it but it
 starts with 917. On the chain cover it has 3.7/18".

I was thinking about buying Insepctors 24" chain saw mill
 and would like to know if this saw will be enought for it ?
 I am gitting to where i don't git to many large logs and
 would like to mill them my self. Sure would like to have
 a stihl.  

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Kevin

Sawwood;
I'm not certain of that specific saw but I would make a guess that it is 3.7 cubic inch with an 18" bar.
That would be around 60cc.
That number isn't a common Sears number it looks more like a David Bradley number that manufactured saws for Sears.
Don't quote me on any of this.  ;D

oldsaw-addict

www.acresinternet.com  has a comprehensive list of makes and models of chainsaws. If you want a chainsaw mill a 3.7 CID saw like the one you have would just barely be able to handle that with a 24" bar, I'd recommend a 4.0 CID saw or larger for any kind of sawmilling.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Stan

That 917 seems to the the Sears number for chainsaw. Most of their models have it. The biggest engine I'm aware of was 5.8 cubic inches. There was even a geared saw with an engine that size. I don't remember any of them havin' a chain brake or an automagic oiler. If'n you have one with that big motor it'd surely run that small mill. You could stick an auxiliary oiler on the end and wouldn't have to mess with the manual pump. Maybe if you pulled the head and measured the bore and stroke?
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

oldsaw

Just couldn't leave the thought alone, could you? ;D

Seeing as how the 066 had it's work cut out for it on the mill when you were over a couple of weeks ago, you have got to be a glutton for punishment.  Your Sears is about the same size as my Homelite, and being 1/3 smaller than the 066, it would take a long time to get through a log.  I am running a full skip chain too.  If I was more serious about this, I'd be shopping for an 088, but for the amount I can do and store at this point, an 066 will get me in enough trouble, and is small enough that I can use it as a general purpose kind of saw without making my arms longer when I carry it.

Sawwood, when I saw this was your thread I laughed until my stomach hurt.  Admit your sawdust addiction and sign up for a 12 step program.   :D

When the weather clears up, we'll have to give it another shot.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sawwood

Oldsaw you are right about my sawdust addiction, as you
 have seen my shop. lol If i could sell my 2 seras saw i just
 might git me one of thoes mills. Will just a though.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!