iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup

Started by Magicman, February 08, 2012, 06:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We did it again.  Eggs, bacon, biscuits, and Maple Syrup.   food3

If I keep this up, I will not have any to share with the "Maple Syrup Tasting Team".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Well with the help of Chuck White I ordered and received a quart of maple syrup last week and finally got around to cooking something for it tonight, don't worry I'd already dipped my finger in it a few times just to be sure it was good, can't ever have enough quality control you know  ;).  I had pancakes, eggs over easy, and bacon.  Didn't have all the fixin's for Norm's buttermilk pancakes but man was it good!

Magicman

Yup, Chuck's Brother turns out some fine squeezings.   food6 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You are not supposed to squeeze the maple tree or the charmin  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Maple syrup production may be down this year because of the early warm weather. But have no fear, we here in Canada have the "Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve", where by we hold 2 or 3 years supply. Prices are not expected to rise this year. New prices are set every 2 or 3 years.  :)

[heard this on CBC radio] ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Glad to hear that you've finally tried and liked the Maple Syrup Pat.

History:  Way back in U.S. History, maple syrup was used as a sweetener because granulated sugar was unheard of.
I like it as flavor/sweetener on oatmeal, as well as cold cereals!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

During the war, granulated sugar and probably molasses were scarce so they used syrup from maple, but also birch.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 29, 2012, 06:47:51 AM
Maple syrup production may be down this year because of the early warm weather. But have no fear, we here in Canada have the "Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve", where by we hold 2 or 3 years supply. Prices are not expected to rise this year. New prices are set every 2 or 3 years.  :)

SD, you need to fill Ianab in on the "Strategic Reserve" part, maybe next time they won't run out of Marmite.  :D

Chuck White

Quote from: sandhills on March 29, 2012, 04:00:55 PM

SD, you need to fill Ianab in on the "Strategic Reserve" part, maybe next time they won't run out of Marmite.  :D

When I was stationed in Alaska, a few people that I knew tapped Red Birch, similar to what we call Gray Birch.

I never got to try the syrup though.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Molasses, it's fructose sugar. Maple is sucrose.

sandhills

Chuck, just wanted to let you know I'm eating icecream with your syrup on it and a little apple crisp under it right now, man that's good!

Chuck White

smiley_thumbsup

Good stuff!

I love it on icecream, and then you have that on top of apple crisp!  Yum Yum!

I'll have to try it sometime.

bigbore

I was looking on the food section for cooking wild bore ribs as i hav'nt had them before.
A friend came over from spain and gave me some ribs so i looked on the net for some ideas when i came across a recipe that sounded great, unfortunetly i did'nt write down the ingrediants before going to the store but i did remember it had MAPLE SYRUP as well as a few other things i remembered like garlic and soy sauce,oh and fresh ginger and chillies.
It's going to sound strange to you guys but i hav'nt tasted maple syrup before (i live in uk) but don't hold it against me.
I'll have a look for a sticky ribs recipe on here but whatever the outcome i will let you know smiley_thumbsup

WDH

BigBore,

Welcome to the Forum!!

Take some hot buttered biscuits and slather them with maple syrup.  Add some crispy bacon.  That should be a good test drive.

(Note to thecfarm and Coon and Zopi, I would add some eggs over easy with some grits all mixed together, but I know that I will be summarily bashed, so I refrained :) ).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH,I guess I should say thanks?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Ray,

Coming from you, that is a gentle bash  :D.  I am glad to see that you have developed some sensibilities  smiley_safety_glasses.

thecfarm

Must of caught me in a good mood.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

You know Danny I'm almost convinced Ray's a closet grits eater. If either of us ends up vacationing in Maine stop by unannounced and go through the pantry with a camera handy.  :D

thecfarm

:D.   Did not even know that grits come this far North.  ;D

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on April 08, 2012, 10:03:27 AM
:D.   Did not even know that grits come this far North.  ;D

I am not sure if they would be allowed across the border  ;D.

bigbore

Found a recipe for the sticky ribs and they tasted gooooood.
I had a problem deciding which maple  syrup to buy as there were three types all with different prices to choose from.So which is the best?? say_what(don't forget i had'nt tasted it before).

SwampDonkey

Restaurants cook with the darker grade because it has more maple flavour than the lighter grades. My choice is the darker. That's the way my grandfather always boiled it down.

bigbore

Thanks SwampDonkey, i should have guessed you were going to say that as the darkest was the most expensive :D I'll give it a try next week.

Chuck White

Syrup is graded as: Light Amber, Medium Amber & Dark Amber.

The light amber is considered "fancy" and therefore more $$$, but those that eat Maple Syrup usually prefer the more "robust" flavor of the medium or dark amber!

beenthere

Just heard that a Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve warehouse that holds about 10 million pounds came up shy. During an inventory check they found many barrels empty.  Looking for the thieves.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120903/NEWS/120909964/-1/NEWSMAP
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!