iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Laptop

Started by WH_Conley, September 15, 2011, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

My daughter is in college and in the market for a laptop computer. Don't to go too cheap, not interested in the most money that can be spent either. What is the general opinion of the most bang for the buck. She is thinking about the 15 inch size.
Bill

Buck

Wife just got a Toshiba from Office Depot for less than $400.  Doing just fine for her for studies in nursing school.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Jeff

HP   walmart or Sams  mine is a HP G62 less than 400 bucks and it works just fine other than I HATE A LAPTOP KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

For college purposes, something along the lines of what Jeff or Buck mentioned would be fine.  As long as she isn't wanting to play the latest video games on it.

If it doesn't come bundled with the laptop she gets, I would also look into educational discounts for Microsoft software such as Word, Excel, etc.  Usually, it can be purchased at (or through) a university bookstore for a substantial discount.  She will definitely want that sort of software to be successful.

If she's not stuck on Miscrosoft, "Open Office" can be had for free and does pretty well (although I've never run it on a Windows system).

SwampDonkey

I like Toshiba brand myself and I have two here, this one and and older one. They are like the energizer bunny..........keeps going.........going............going. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Sony Vaio is the best short of a mac air which is too much money for what you get. I made the mistake of getting a laptop with a 17" screen and hate it, just too big for me.

submarinesailor

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 16, 2011, 05:41:49 AM
I like Toshiba brand myself and I have two here, this one and and older one. They are like the energizer bunny..........keeps going.........going............going. :D

SwampD - that may be the case.  BUT, because of this:  Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal.  I will never own anything from Toshiba.

"Several countries had illegally exported the machine tool that combined with the Norwegian numerical control (NC) device to the Soviet Union in violation of agreements during the Cold War(1945–91). And the Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal was disclosed in this activity in 1987".

Bruce

chevytaHOE5674

I have an IBM thinkpad and while it isn't fancy or stylish, it gets the job done and has for 7 years now with nothing more than a battery. And I carry it all over, even run it in the car for GPS turn by turn directions. My brother has a thinkpad that is almost 10 years old and he still uses it everyday for surfing the internet. When my thinkpad dies its replacement will be another thinkpad as it just plain works.

The other half had a top of the line Toshiba and the LCD screen went out (and Toshiba said tough crap its 7 days out of warranty), so she replaced it with an HP which now has broken hinges and some other issues. I've since replaced the LCD and use the Toshiba as a "desktop" hooked up to the TV.

Radar67

Warbird, Open Office works fine from a Windows platform. Microsoft Office is expensive and Open Office can be used for the same purposes.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WH_Conley

She has been using Open Office on this XP machine for the last year, some communication issues when takes her work to school and opens it in Word. Nothing major.

Keep the opinions coming, she will be going to get one in a few days. Before she does I am going to let her read this thread.
Bill

Norm

What is your daughter's major at college Bill?

DouginUtah

Good laptop deals show up almost daily on www.slickdeals.net .I noticed today there is a Dell for $329.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WH_Conley

Norm, she is going into teaching.
Bill

Norm

red oaks lumber

i have a dell inspiron with windows 7 and 15" monitor, love having the mobility to go any where  :)price wasn't bad somewhere around $350
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Looks like I may be in the market for a new laptop.  Mine has been going to white screen, green screen, black screen, & blue screen about anytime that it decides to.  Looks like tonight it has lost it's mind and can't see the wireless network.   :-\

I hate to even think about moving bookmarks, programs, etc. to a new one.  Especially when I don't know how to.  Life is simpler when stuff works.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

MM, I can move files for you with no trouble.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Paper Maker

I use a MacBook Pro I bought at Best Buy. When it was new I could get six hours of run time on the battery before needing charging. Two years latter I'm getting about four hours. The body is milled from a solid block of aluminum wich makes it very durable. I also don't worry about viruses. Not yet anyway. (Knock on wood) It may or may not be the ideal laptop for your needs. Just putting my two cents worth in. I like a Mac.  One thing I do recommend is shopping at Best Buy. The associates are well trained to help and they have a great selection to choose from. Best wishes to your daughter.  I hope she turns out like my old history teacher and not like my old english teacher. I still hate english. I just hope Mrs. Weiner Witch Winagar doesn't                                                          read the Forestry Form. Just kidding. bat_smailey

Mooseherder

So dats where www comes from. :D

thecfarm

We bought ours at Best Buy. We brought the protection plan and the added warranty too. Covers the lap top even if we drop it on the floor. We'll see how that works when we do drop it. Does add a bit to the final bill,but need any of it once and it is worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Since the only stores that we have is WalMart and Dollar General, I'll go shopping this morning.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I have exceeded my comfort level.  I bought a Dell 14R "Switch" laptop.  Right now I am probably clicking stuff that I should not,  :-\  but I don't want a bunch of garbage on it.

It's making a "recovery disc" now.  Time will tell.

Radar67, I may be calling you.   :)

Magicman

I'm on it, but I have a loooong ways to go.   :-\

SwampDonkey

My TV sound went over the weekend. It was an RCA picture tube type TV with analog tuner. Anyway, I've had such good luck with Toshiba laptops that I went straight for a Toshiba 32" LCD for $349 dual analog/digital tuner. I didn't get the extra 5 year warranttee because the TV isn't expensive and the last few TV's I have gotten only last 5-6 years and that's it. Go get a new one. TV's are more like computers now, you can even update the firmware with a USB thumbdrive.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Of course, now I'm suddenly going from Windows whatever to Windows 7 and all of these other good ideas.  The function keyboard keys are rearranged, so I'm touching the wrong keys and typing "not" what I want to type.   :-\

I downloaded Firefox, but I have not found my Bookmarks options yet.  Some kind of way I've got to get my tool bar back.

This is no fun.