iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turner MIll, Rakes Homebuilt, and other inflatable tire mills??????/

Started by HOGFARMER, December 30, 2007, 10:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

How do these type mills if properly constructed compare to mills such as the Norwood lumbermate, Woodmizer LT15, and Cooks MP-32?  I see Turner offers a hydraulic version does anyone know anything about these? Thanks :P

I am interested in their durability and production as well as ease of operation.  Not concerned about resale value.
Manual LT-30

bandmiller2

Hogfarmer,the small,cheaper bandmills are built to a price their are alot in the market.When you build your own you can make it as heavy and automated as you want.The rubber tire principal is sound they work and work well.Inflated tires tend to be bulkie you must have a longer band to compensate.You have the option of using large diameter wheels to help band life.What it boiles down to is the mill is as good as its builder.Don't rush ,do alot of thinking and enjoy the trip. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

barbender

I'm with bandmiller2, the rubber tires work well. On my mill, a new blade puts out a cut that's just as good as the woodmizers I have run, but it has many small quirks I still need to work out. It's a lot of work to put a mill together, don't underestimate it. But if you have the time, I think you can get a lot more for your money.
Too many irons in the fire

Fla._Deadheader

Homey--Live Oak--Remote operator station--New Honda 24HP--$6500.00 to build--Fully Hydraulic--Electric feed and up\down
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jrokusek

Quote from: barbender on January 01, 2008, 10:50:54 PM
I'm with bandmiller2, the rubber tires work well. On my mill, a new blade puts out a cut that's just as good as the woodmizers I have run, but it has many small quirks I still need to work out. It's a lot of work to put a mill together, don't underestimate it. But if you have the time, I think you can get a lot more for your money.

Amen to that.  Sure was fun too.  Mine is fully non-automated (manual everything).  I scavenged metal from scrapyards, a metal jello display rack, Ebay, old farm machinery in the scrap pile, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, Surplus Center, and the wisdom of folks on this list.  My mill wasn't built for production - I'm a woodworker who wanted a better price on wood.  Funny how this hobby just kinda went wild!  Below is a picture during the building phase.

MikeH

Furby

MikeH

Thank You Sponsors!