iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mac D44

Started by sfgjon, April 08, 2007, 09:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfgjon

Well, I know I need a saw this heavy and old like I need another hole in my head.. but... I saw this saw sitting in a pawn shop, and it's calling my name for some reason. Does anyone have any experiences with one? It's a heavy old beast I am sure I wouldn't use much, most likely sit on the shelf with my old Remington more than anything. Are they worth anything? How much would be a "good" price for one? Any opinions? Good or bad?

Kcwoodbutcher

I had an old Super 44, my ex sold it for around $75 on e-bay a few years ago. If I recall it was about 35 lbs dry. It's great if your cutting a log on the ground, the weight of the thing would pull it through the log. It wasn't very high RPM but very high torque. Didn't like to run on it's side tended to flood out. It ran a 16:1 mix so you wanted to be upwind when running it.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

sawguy21

Tie the throttle open in the cut and go for lunch  :D I collect old saws, I would like to have that one, but sure don't want to run it all day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

The D-44 Mac was the first direct drive saw McCulloch ever made. The original was 4.4 cubic inchs,I have no idea what the horsepower was.Next came the super 44 at 4.9 cubic inchs followed by the super 44A at 5.3 cubic inchs.

This subject was just talked about another place on the net.I have an advertising picture that lists the super 44 at 19 pounds and 6.5 horse power.

These saws were equiped with an air vane governer which limited their rpms.If this is bypassed these old duffers come alive.This family of saw engines evolved into the Mc 49 and Mc10 Kart engines which had a very impressive winning streak during the 60's on the go-kart racing circuit.

Most stock Mac reed valve engines run in the 9 to 10 thousand rpm range,in stock form.This can be enhanced but that is another story and not in keeping with the subject at hand.These old saws are not as slow as most think they are but aren't nearly as fast as a modern saw,they do have more grunt though, are  quite a bit heavier and not as user friendly.I have a super 44A but this is a collectors saw,not an every day runner.

Thank You Sponsors!