iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of pine's are these?

Started by Coffee_Creek, January 15, 2015, 02:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

I don't know much about the different types, can you tell me what type these are and if they are good for anything?
I bought 10 acres that joins my other property and there are a lot of these on it. I was hoping to saw them for beams, 2x lumber or 1x siding.
Thanks for your help,

wdmn

Thanks for the post Coffee_creek.

THere's not much to go on in that picture (though maybe its enough for some of the vets on this site). Could you get some close up pictures of the needles and cones?

As to your question, I respond with a question: What do you mean by "good for anything"? How serious of an answer do you want, or do you just mean "what good are these trees to me?" in a narrow, short-termed utilitarian sense of the word "good."

Please don't take this as me being combative; I believe it's important to think about these things.

thanks,

wdmn

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, Coffee, and they look like they could be short leaf pine, a southern yellow pine, good in construction, pulp, etc.  Close up of needles and cones would help a bunch.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Coffee_Creek

Hi, didn't take you as being combative at all, good questions to my question. That is the best picture I have right now, the trees are on my property in central Alabama (Gadsden) and I'm in Kentucky right now working. I hope to make a trip home in a few weeks and can take close up of needles and cones. I thought I was clear about "good for anything" I meant for lumber such as beams (maybe 8"X8"), 2"X6"-8"-10"or12" or maybe 1"X ? for siding.
Hope this helps,

WDH

They are almost sure to be loblolly pine, and it is the main pine in the South used to make construction lumber, so they are fine for what you are considering.  If they are loblolly, needles will be in bundles of three, and the cones will be prickly and just a bit smaller than a clenched fist.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coffee_Creek

Here's a couple more pic's, don't know if they will help.....

curdog

Coffee_Creek

That's great, thanks!!!
There's a lot of them and some big. Should be enough to build a house, barn and a couple of sheds.
Thanks for the help

Ianab

Pretty much all Pines can be used for something. Of course some are better than others, grow straighter, stronger, more durable etc.

Those trees look straight and decent sizes, so will make some good saw logs

But it's good to know what  you are dealing with so you can work out beam sizes, and what protection from the elements you need to plan for. The weaker species, you need a larger sized beam, or less span. But you can still build with it.

Like the others say, a close up of the bark, needle bunches and cones, with some sizes will get a more positive ID
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

enigmaT120

Do they always have those big branches?
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

curdog

Quote from: enigmaT120 on January 21, 2015, 12:30:13 PM
Do they always have those big branches?
Looks like they are growing on the edge of an opening.  The one's on the interior  won't have that many branches.

Coffee_Creek

will the ones with low branches make decent lumber?

WDH

Depends on what you will use it for.  For framing lumber where strength is required, the big knots will cause the grade to fall below what is acceptable for #2 and better lumber most likely.  Knot size and placement in the board are what determines grade in SYP framing lumber.

If it is for appearance purposes, i.e. siding flooring, etc, it should work. 

Thank You Sponsors!