iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree / wood ID

Started by Karleisenmenger, October 19, 2022, 03:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karleisenmenger

I was a suburb dweller most of my life.   I now live on 30 wooded acres in S. Indiana and I have trouble identifying tree types, especially when there are no leaves.   I recently found a downed tree in the woods and have recovered it for firewood.  Here are some pictures of the bark and a cross cut of the trunk.    

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Looks like northern red oak (quercus rubra). 

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Also
Red Oak | The Wood Database (Hardwood)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WLzM1A

Defiantly oak, looks like what we call black oak here in TN.
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D
Whitehead 180 wall hanger

Lone Elm British Labrador Retrievers
AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

Ron Scott

Yes, to northern red oak.
~Ron

firefighter ontheside

One way to recognize an oak is the very visible medullary rays radiating out from the center towards the outside.  To tell if its a red oak or white oak, make a very clean cut on the end grain and look very closely with either a magnifying glass or a nice clear close up photo and look at the pores.  The pores in white oak will be closed and the pores of red oaks will be open like tiny straws.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Make a ~1/16" thick cookie and hold it up to the light. Red oak will be a pretty lace and white will block the light.

These were in my gallery. This is a white oak, heart is lower left corner, bark is upper right corner. Rays are diagonal upward radiating from heart to bark. Oaks are ring porous, the annual ring of thin walled porous vessels in white oak are blocked by tyloses, you can see those structures in the vessels here. You also cannot blow through white, or your whiskey won't leak out because of those blockages.

This is red oak, heart is lower right bark is upper left. I think you are actually looking clear through some of those vessels to the white backing of my scanner. There is a little bit of tension in this stick, see the G layer in some of those? Cool, never noticed before. Red is good for nail kegs and other slack cooperage but not for liquid tight cooperage.

Thank You Sponsors!