iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer LT40 Super HD Gearbox Bearing

Started by Cabo Waitna, August 07, 2011, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabo Waitna

All, I am new to Wood-Web.  I have a processing plant in Managua, Nicaragua and a saw milling operation up in the north where the wood comes from.  I use Wood-Mizers due to the need for portability and I really like them.  However, I am not an expert with Wood-Mizers (yet) but like anybody in this business I am handy with a wrench.  You can imagine how remote my machines are and why reliance on certified techs is nearly impossible.  At any rate, I need to know at this time what is the bearing size in the up/down gear box.  I have seen some issues reported here about this issue and we too experienced the drying out of the bearing.  I need to replace them but need the size.  Wood-Mizer only replaces the whole gearbox and that's not necessary.  I buy my parts here in the city and then send them up by bush plane.  In this case these bearing sizes are only available on the bearing itself unless one of you kind gentleman can help me out.  The exact bearing number would be great but an ID, OD and width would be just gtreat too.  Thanks a million and I look forward to being a productive member of the forum.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum Cabo

You will find a lot of interest here, and many knowledgable members who are willing to help with the WM as well as being interested in your life stories and work with your WM.

Pull up a stump and join in the fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Welcome Cabo Waitna, to the Forestry Forum, not Wood-Web.   :)

I am on the road so it would be about another week before I can look in my files and get you the number, but the bearing number (size) is stamped on the side of the outside bearing race.  Just replace the open bearing with a sealed one with the same number.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cabo Waitna

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.  I apologize for saying "Wood-Web" and it will not happen again.  I have some really great stories and pictures to share.  This is very cool and feel like I am joining a therapy group.  Really, thank you for the nice welcome.  In case anyone cares... cabo waitna literally means " sea man" or man of the sea in the Miskito Indian language which is what is spoken where I have my mills.  I am not that, I am from Michigan.  However, the fishing here in Nicaragua is worldclass and apart from my family and business, fishing gets it done for me.  Anyway, Miskito Indians make up my work force and why getting the bearing number from them is impossible.  They can fix it and replace it but cannot communicate to me the number and I cannot get back up there for a couple of weeks.  Thanks.    

jpgreen

I would almost consider bringing you a bearing to experience that fishing down there .. :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Cabo Waitna

And you'd be welcome my friend if I can find the time.  Lotta logs to be cut right now.  Poles are gettin' rusty, kinda like my bearings.

backwoods sawyer

I just went thru and done the same thing, and the top seal was not available, so I made a modification.

All these parts numbers are CARQUEST numbers
Bearings
#304 CQ62 300540
#204 CQ37 300535
Seals
#471795 CQ309 303202
#470953 CQ302 300545

Since the top seal was no longer available I took a piece of brass and turned it down so that it would fit snugly in the seal hole, trimmed it to length and made a hole in the center that the seal would fit in with a lip to hold the seal flush. Then rerouted the plumbing for the water jugs so that the gearbox stays dryer as well as topping it off with a good grade of gear oil.

Hope these numbers help you out.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

I will need to know the year and model of the WM you are running. The worm gear wears one the gear boxes I have torn apart. Can you also get me the model of the gear box. Is it a Grove gear box?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Cabo Waitna

Backwoods... Thanks for taking the time.  However, the nearest Car Quest to me is about 1,500 miles and that's as the crow flies.

MartyParsons... I will get the gearbox brand some time today.  The year built is 2007 and the Model is WoodMizer LT40 Super HD no changes from factory (i.e. no accuset).  The particular bearing number I need is the pulley shaft bearing (vs. the sprocket shaft side).  The number I am looking for is the bearing standard and not a cross reference to an OEM as Backwwods so kindly gave me trying to help.

Thanks fellas and this kind of support from folks like you is simply invaluable for a guy like me down here in the remotest of conditions trying to eek out a living.  I love it but sure could go for some hot cakes and maple syrup this morning!

Thank You Sponsors!