iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood mizer lt30 help and information please

Started by norris13052006, April 03, 2021, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norris13052006

Ok so being new to all this I just bought this setup it had been sitting a few years. So of course the hydraulic blade tensioner is leaking and needs rebuilt. Has anyone sourced the rebuild parts from other places than wood mizer? Looking for suggestions on a log Turner for this thing as well 

GAB

Quote from: norris13052006 on April 03, 2021, 11:53:57 AM
Ok so being new to all this I just bought this setup it had been sitting a few years. So of course the hydraulic blade tensioner is leaking and needs rebuilt. Has anyone sourced the rebuild parts from other places than wood mizer? Looking for suggestions on a log Turner for this thing as well
Concerning the W-M tensioner rebuild I got my parts from W-M.  I'm not aware of any other supplier.
Concerning the log turner issue, one who I think could help you is @pineywoods, @YellowHammer is my second choice.
Note: When rebuilding a W-M tensioner for the first time allow more time than you think it should take.  My experience is that there is a very steep learning curve.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

YellowHammer

I built a nice claw turner with an electric winch, it worked fine.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

pineywoods

My claw type turner also serves quite well as a 2 plane clamp.
Search "home made hydraulics"
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

47sawdust

My LT30 came with a hand crank log turner.
I replaced the hand crank with a 12 volt winch that has a remote pendant. It works great.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

norris13052006

Any pictures of ur log turners be much appreciated

Southside

If you own a WM mill, get WM parts.  They are very fair on prices and with consumables - belts come to mind - they actually have their own requirements which exceed the NAPA type options, ask me how I know.  Oh - and I am a farmer so Gorilla tape and bailing twine are normal solutions for me, but when it comes to the mills and support equipment, I just call them and stay money ahead.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

47sawdust

Factory manual log turner can be ordered from WM.
My 12 volt winch was originally mounted where the hand crank was.
I moved it to its present position when I added a hyd. loader and toe rollers.

Log turner to right of clamp, winch is now suspended from frame just to left of clamp.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brob1969

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 04, 2021, 12:44:02 PM
Factory manual log turner can be ordered from WM.
My 12 volt winch was originally mounted where the hand crank was.
I moved it to its present position when I added a hyd. loader and toe rollers.

Log turner to right of clamp, winch is now suspended from frame just to left of clamp.

I would sure love some more photos of this setup!  I would like to do something similar. 
1990 Woodmizer LT40, 18 HP Briggs Twin II
1980 Ford 555 backhoe
1996 John Deere 4475 Skid-Steer

Brob1969

Quote from: norris13052006 on April 03, 2021, 11:53:57 AM
I just recently rebuilt the tensioner on my LT40.  It was fairly straightforward using the kit from Wood-Mizer. It was not terribly expensive and I wouldn't know where to start trying to source the part numbers otherwise. 
1980 Ford 555 backhoe

47sawdust

Well you caught me at just the right time  :D.

Originally power was taken directly from the battery box with a Cole Hersee plug and receptacle.Hence the hole in the box.
Plug and receptacle are wired and available.
After adding hydraulics the winch is powered from the hyd control box via the contact strip.
This set up serves my purposes very well.

<br

>

<b
The winch is a 3700# warn, since discontinued.The pendant allows me to be right at the log when turning.

r><

br>

Important to unplug the winch before going forward if you use this setup. Grandpa Bonehead tried it more than once, slow learner

Mick

norris13052006

I'm going to finish checking everything out before I order anything.. I also had a big black walnut gave to me but going to mill some red oak before I even think touching it... I have a ear cracked off the gear reduction box for the lift still works... But going to look into a spare anyone have one they done need 

Brob1969

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 04, 2021, 02:22:54 PM
Well you caught me at just the right time  :D.

Originally power was taken directly from the battery box with a Cole Hersee plug and receptacle.Hence the hole in the box.
Plug and receptacle are wired and available.
After adding hydraulics the winch is powered from the hyd control box via the contact strip.
This set up serves my purposes very well.

<br

>

<b
The winch is a 3700# warn, since discontinued.The pendant allows me to be right at the log when turning.

r><

br>

Important to unplug the winch before going forward if you use this setup. Grandpa Bonehead tried it more than once, slow learner

Thanks for the photos! 
I believe I will do something similar.  This looks like a good setup. 
1980 Ford 555 backhoe

Crossroads

I built the pineywoods claw turner and it was a game changer. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!