iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roasted potato, mushroom and Chicken gizzard soup.

Started by Jeff, March 18, 2020, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Roasted potato, mushroom and Chicken gizzard soup.  

A big 2 cup bowl figures to only 517 calories.

Gizzards are cheap and delish @Raider Bill !

Ilb Chicken gizzards (cut in bite sized pieces )
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth
1 medium onion chopped.
2 cups mushrooms.
4 medium red potatoes, chunked and roasted until brown.
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper.

Roast your potatoes at 350 on a olive oil lubed foil cookie sheet. 

Set your instapot or quick cooker to sear. Add one tbs olive oil to pot. Add your chopped onions and gizzards. Sear until onions start to turn transparent.

Reset your cooker to high pressure, add one can chicken broth and pepper, seal up and cook 25 minutes.

Release steam, add mushrooms, one can beef broth and roasted potatoes. You are done!  Cool enough to eat.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Love me some gizzards! Going to add this to the list. Thax.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

I lived a Butchers' life for 40 years.  Everytime there was a gizzard missing from an old lady's chicken I was accused of taking it.   :D

Jeff

pabst79

When the Amish butcher our chickens, they always ask if we want the gizzards and livers, we do, but have only eaten them deep fried. Come October when I get a new supply I'm going to try this recipe. 
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

stanwelch

Jeff. Thanks for posting the recipe - this meal does look GOOD!!
I'm still keeping with the low carb diet as long as I continue to lose weight. At 37g per medium potato, a little high in carbs just yet. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

doc henderson

It does look good and I have not eaten a gizzard in 40 years.   I just checked and Wal-Mart has plenty of gizzards for the foreseeable future and beyond! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

I ate gizzards when younger but much prefer chicken livers but I mostly abstain from liver lately.
Our supper tonight will be a Taste Of Home recipe called Asian noodle soup-it's 2 carrots, 1# ground pork, 6 cups shredded cabbage, garlic, ginger, tumeric, soy sauce, garnish of green onions, S & P, uses Asian noodles-we like wheat not rice noodles.
Thawed a large pork loin to use for several recipes mostly charcoal grilled for pulled pork on Saturday. Some I'll cut off into tidbits for a recipe called Mexican Pork Pozole' and another that's called Pork Chili Verde, both from a Taste of Home cookbook I bought cheap in FL recently. All recipes are on the web now but Taste of Home is a VG one as they take home recipes from their magazine readers over the years and also a few of their own and for many years have published cooking magazines for home cooks.  
I'll cook the small chunks for both then re-freeze them for later use. FWIW, cooking prolongs the storage life of pork for any newbie cooks out there.  
Walmarts often cater to Hispanics these days and have plenty of gizzards, chicken feet, poultry necks, chittlins and various other "somewhat different" meat choices for most gringo diets.
When I worked in the supermarket trade 1959-64 in KS it was common to see that and also pork/beef/chicken liver & kidneys, tongue, lamb fries, and not so usual meat items as today.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

The recipe looks real good except I am not a gizzard or liver eater. Just never developed a taste for it. I might have to try it with some boneless chicken or turkey or such instead. My wife likes beef liver and onions and usually gets a plate of chicken livers when we eat at Golden Corral.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mooseherder

Raider Bill

I like the gizzards and hearts either fried or boiled in broth. Never liked liver.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Normal Chicken for me does not work well in a soup in the pressure cooker. It over cooks. The gizzards add the flavor and the pressure make them tender, juicy and full of flavor.

Do da gizzards!

We had one serving left,as the recipe makes 5 cups. The next day I added one cup of hat water with a beef bullion cube dissolved and one can of mixed veggies to make it two hearty helpings!

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Thx for the warning on overcooking. Does that apply the saw to dark and white meat? I'd think dark meat would react more like gizzards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Ive only tried chunks of chicken breast twice. Both times it came out it was more like dried pork loin. Not good.  Im sure it can be cooked to satisfaction, but not in a one pot soup recipe. 

RichTired

I agree with WV Sawmiller, the soup looks good with the exception of the gizzards.  However, I am a big fan of beef liver and chicken livers.  Over the years, there have been a gizzard or two mixed in with an order of chicken livers. I am thinking it was an over-sight at the processing facility.  

When working in Puerto Rico, I got what I thought was chicken livers over rice at a Pharma manufacturing facility. And since I was dinning with clients I tried to do the polite thing and just eat them. After consuming one of the gizzards the second one was full of small gravel. I just ate the rice after that. I was told the chickens swallow the gravel to help with digestion as it acts as "teeth" in the gizzard to help with digestion.

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Jeff

Al_Smith

I'm not real fond of them myself .It was some of those things I had a ton of as a growing boy .Not to forget spam,beef liver and heart,Swiss chard dandelion greens ,creamed eggs on toast .

CCCLLC

Thank You Sponsors!