iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills WC68 feed roller stalling

Started by Dan_Shade, October 27, 2023, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

We picked up a WC68 chipper, which is working well, but the feed roller seems to unpredictably stop rolling. 

It seems to be worse when I bunch of pine branches with needles are attempting to feed in.  It seems ok on solid branches. 

The hydraulic pump belt feels tight, and changing the feed rate does not seem to improve things. 

Any ideas on troubleshooting? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

Adjusting the screw as shown in the video seems to have done the trick. 

Dan_Shade

Well, went back at it after lunch, and it's acting up again.

I'll reach out to woodland mills. 

Tin Horse

Years ago I rented an industrial chipper to clean up an area of white pine. Many green branches and needles. After a bit it just wouldn't feed. Had to find  and feed dry branches to help clear. I guess they gum up. I've had it happen with other chippers since.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Dan_Shade

I'm not sure what the problem is, the feed roller will stop turning.  I probably have another 25 hours or so on the chipper. 

Farmer536

Farmer536

Dan, I am curious how you made out with the infeed roller issue.  I am having the same problem - same chipper - extremely frustrating.  I have done the valve adjustments and bled the hydraulic line at the pump to no avail.  Thank you

Dan_Shade

It sort of cleared up on its own.  

I've put probably 30 hours on it with no problems. 

If it's not moving at all, check the belt that drives the pump.   I've had the belt pop off. 

Farmer536

I just put on a new belt even though it didn't need it.  I called Woodland Mills Tech support today and they said check the spring tension on the roller, adjust the tension on the red bar (both of which I have done) and then take off the supply hose to the roller and let it go in a pail to make sure there is a garden hose like flow - I cracked the fittings and got no air previously but I suppose there could be a bubble.  Feels like the roller drive is the problem which is a pump so tough to test.  If the hose purge isn't it not sure what to do.  Thanks for responding.  I'll get back with the results

Dan_Shade

I hope you get it sorted out.  I kind of think mine had air in the system that needed worked out. 

I like the chipper, it's not super fast, but it's nice for small cleanup jobs. 

Thank You Sponsors!