iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

James Smith

Started by larrydown60, May 13, 2018, 12:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

Hi All. I just read that James Smith of The Tradesman Channel fell off the second floor of his barn build today  I don't know if  any of you had read this but I thought you should know Jim Rodgers I saw you at his place the other night on his video Sorry about the bad news. Larry

Jim_Rogers

How did you find out?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

How bad was he hurt?

Dave Shepard

This is member jimdad07? I hope he is ok.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Runningalucas

He's got a good channel; I catch a show here, and there.  Get well!
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Jim_Rogers

So far I've heard that he broke his leg and is in the hospital
But this is not confirmed

loganworks2

My prayers are with him. I like his channel. His approach is very basic and I like that.

larrydown60

Jim has a Facebook page called The Tradesman Channel His brother in law said Jim had surgery and they fixed a couple of problems and He has to wear a cage on his leg for 3 weeks and then they will do another surgery to fix his ankle That is what I read on his facebook page

Jim_Rogers

Thanks Larry.
Jim Rogers

Runningalucas

Quote from: larrydown60 on May 13, 2018, 07:33:47 PM
Jim has a Facebook page called The Tradesman Channel His brother in law said Jim had surgery and they fixed a couple of problems and He has to wear a cage on his leg for 3 weeks and then they will do another surgery to fix his ankle That is what I read on his facebook page
Ouch, that's going to hurt for a while.  Wintertime for the next few years will really just not be good. 
Get well soon!
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Jim_Rogers

When I visited with Jim on Thursday the 10th, he told me that not all the lumber for the barn was there. He needs to acquire all the rafters. We discussed rafter pitch for the upper roof and the lower roof sides. But he hadn't made a decision on the slopes. I am currently working on drawing to show different roof pitch/slopes to him so he can decide on which he wants. And/or what looks best to him. Just wanted to update you on what we discussed on Thursday, off camera.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Jimdad07 of the forestry forum has been working on a timber frame barn for many months/years.
Recently as mentioned he fell in his barn onto a concrete floor and broke his leg.
He has recently posted an update video:

A Terrible Timber Framing Accident, Totally Avoidable - YouTube

We all wish you a speedy recovery.
Jim Rogers

Crusarius

Good luck Jim. Don't be afraid to question the doctors if something doesn't seem right. You know your body better than they ever will.

Your videos have been an inspiration to me. I hope to do my own timber frame one day because of them.

Thanks, and good luck.

woodworker9

Jim

I was horrified when I saw the video.  Please take care of yourself, and get well soon.  Let the working community know when you're ready, and we'll lend a hand when able to get you caught up.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

jimdad07

Hello everybody.  It has been a long time since I have checked in here and I apologize for that, between a farm, a job, YouTube and this never ending barn project I find myself lacking for time.  I can say that at least for the next few months I will have all kinds of time on my hands to get caught up.
Where I am today is about another 8 to 9 weeks before I can put weight on it again, I have had two surgeries and every thing went together well.  I am going crazy with sitting around but it could have been so much worse.  I ended up falling 12' through the stairwell hole in the second floor and landed all 220#'s of my weight on my right foot standing up.  Needless to say it did some damage.  Now I am sporting some metal in my right leg but within a few months should be back up and at it.  
As for the barn project, my BIL put a crew together and they are going to get it finished up as soon as I am able to sit out there and direct the work.  The cameras will be rolling, the drone will be flying and this thing will finally get done.  There are only eight timbers left to go on the frame and then the roof can be put on.  As for videos my wife has been putting a few out to keep the channel going and I am working on some design videos and they will be put out as I get them finished.
Thanks for all the well wishes guys.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

loganworks2

Sure glad you are recovering well. Falls are no fun, I have taken a few myself and fortunately have never been severely hurt. I do have a close friend who took a fall similar to yours but landed flat on his back. That was 15 yrs ago he has severe brain damage and is still in a nursing home. Please everyone be careful and stay safe.  

TimFromNB

Hi Jim, wishing you a speedy recovery!

jimdad07

Quote from: loganworks2 on June 10, 2018, 02:54:31 PM
Sure glad you are recovering well. Falls are no fun, I have taken a few myself and fortunately have never been severely hurt. I do have a close friend who took a fall similar to yours but landed flat on his back. That was 15 yrs ago he has severe brain damage and is still in a nursing home. Please everyone be careful and stay safe.  
I know how lucky I am on this one.  It could have been so much worse than it was.

jimdad07

Quote from: TimFromNB on June 10, 2018, 04:40:34 PM
Hi Jim, wishing you a speedy recovery!
Thanks Tim, I appreciate it.

timbour

Jim,

I just discovered your channel over the weekend and watched 3 of you videos.  Very inspirational and you are a work warrior.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

sawmilllawyer

I have followed your thread since you started it and enjoy your video's. I pray you will recover from your injuries and finish your barn you worked so hard for. Hey a little help from your friends at this point is great even if if you have to supervise.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

klpauba

Hey Jim, wish you a quick recovery too.  Also pass along some well-wishes to the rest of your family ... you might become quite the bear during your recovery! :)

jimdad07

Quote from: timbour on June 11, 2018, 09:46:39 AM
Jim,

I just discovered your channel over the weekend and watched 3 of you videos.  Very inspirational and you are a work warrior.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thank you, I hope you find them useful.  I'll be back at it before you know it.

Thank You Sponsors!