iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sight block in an established forest area

Started by kkcomp, July 10, 2023, 06:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

Looking for suggestions of trees to plant as a sight block in north east Tennessee area. I have 114 acres of established hard and soft woods. I have had the land for 35 years always intending to build a retirement home. In the picture the star is where I am building. Recently the adjacent 75 acre lot sold and the new owner is building his house at the X which is about 100 foot above my elevation. His reasoning is the same as mine, the view of the lake. Well I think after 45 years in or working for the Navy I have earned my privacy and don't need a neighbor watching me sit on my deck. The area I want to plant is a few hundred feet deep, on the western side of a mountain and has a good stand of mixed hardwoods. Any suggestions for trees and plants? 

Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

Ianab

Good blocking trees are generally ones you planted 10 years ago.  :-\

I'd think a dozen or so fast growing pines strategically planted in the sight line might be the best solution. Closer to your place and they will block the view line sooner. Might still be ~10 years before they kick in though.

But consider something temporary closer to your house as a temporary hedge, that blocks just that  view line fast, while longer lived trees can grow a bit further back. Plan to take out the temp trees in ~10 years time. Locally it might be Japanese Cedars or Leighton Green hybrid cypress. Not sure about the options for your climate.  L Green are are pretty crappy trees, but will block a gap fast. Jap Cedar are actually a long lived forest tree, related to Redwoods, but grow a fast dense evergreen hedge pretty quick. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Your pond, or not? 
The yellow lines your property lines?
Where on the sight line can you plant trees? Your side of the lake or the other side? 

Similar issue for me, so I hired a tree mover to transplant balled trees on the sight line. I should have been smarter and bought the land that the house was built on. Called "view shed". Once back in the day, a movement to control others building homes in the country was proposed that anyone could blackball a house planned to be built in their "view shed". Haha.. I could see for miles in several directions that I could control if that ridiculous plan was put in effect. 

Planting trees is a good idea. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Any fast growing softwood, especially spruce, that are suited for your area should make a nice screen. But it will take a while unless you do like beenthere and transplant balled trees.
Too many irons in the fire

kkcomp

Quote from: beenthere on July 10, 2023, 11:14:25 AM
Your pond, or not?
The yellow lines your property lines?
Where on the sight line can you plant trees? Your side of the lake or the other side?

Similar issue for me, so I hired a tree mover to transplant balled trees on the sight line. I should have been smarter and bought the land that the house was built on. Called "view shed". Once back in the day, a movement to control others building homes in the country was proposed that anyone could blackball a house planned to be built in their "view shed". Haha.. I could see for miles in several directions that I could control if that ridiculous plan was put in effect.

Planting trees is a good idea.
Pond is all mine. Yes the lines are property but not accurate, I am going by the survey. I tried to buy the land but was beat to it. I would like to keep my view of the pond so the preference would be trees on the east side.  
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

Ron Scott

Transplant Norway spruce or any of the best growing pines for your area. Seedling plantings would take a number of growing years before they become an effective screen to the viewshed.
~Ron

Kit B

I'd go with loblolly, or even super loblolly.  They grow fast and straight with minimal upkeep.

Ron Scott

~Ron

aigheadish

I don't know the height you need but from what I understand there is some extremely fast growing arborvitae out there (Thuja?) and it will supposedly get to 50-60 feet tall pretty quickly. Bamboo, if well contained may be an option as well, but that could get scary. Looks like a good chunk of land!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!