iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking the Plunge

Started by FarmingSawyer, September 07, 2014, 08:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

After working a couple of weeks for my first customer.....the client I've been building a barn for since February....I'm ready to take the plunge and try and get some mobile sawing jobs. I've been researching for a while here on pricing, etc....and I've got a firm handle on the milling end of things..... In reality I'd prefer to operate a stationary mill and just sell lumber I cut from my own supplies and specialty orders, but I no longer live across the road from my woodlot, and it's not in a great place to start this sort of mill anyway.....there are already 3 mills in that town--not that any of them do anything any more, but they sure don't like to give up the illusion that some day they'll get out of the bottle and back on the carriage..... Maybe some day when I get another piece of land to build a home on again.

Meanwhile, I've place an add in Uncle Henry's, and I'm going to be putting this flyer up around town:

Meanwhile, here are some shots of the job I'm working..... I should be there another 8 days at least.... mainly cleaning up some pine and some ash for flooring. What kid stuck a bolt in this 80yr old Ash? Must have been when it was a sapling......

A real clear 16ft pine cant...I've pared it down to mostly heart wood...1x14 for flooring:

Ya gotta love when the bugs are this active.....this stuff will make some "rustic" paneling in the mudroom....

This was the top 4ft of a huge 18' elm butt. It was just where a crotch was taking off, so after I slabbed it off and got some nice cabinet boards I cut the heart section into some 4x4s for a loft railing for the barn i've built the owner:

It surprising how after only a week the mill begins to look like it's been there a lot longer. I'm hoping most of this will be cleaned up by tomorrow when I go back to work....the owner is only paying me for sawing and some stacking...looks like I need to begin the day with some edging..... and I hope he's dealt with the slab pile, when I left it was eclipsing that apple in the background.....

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

mad murdock

Looking very nice FarmingSawyer. Those bug boards will be real nice. Quite a variety of species you have been working on that job!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

That flyer looks good. What about a web site? Jeff does a good job on one. Got a facebook account? I don't know if Union Fair would help out or not. Common Ground Fair is about to start.
Push that wide throat. Not many sawmills can cut that wide. Need pictures of a nice wide slab with you standing by it. Does not have to be 16 feet long either. There are pictures of some members that have them standing up next to them,just 8 feet long and it's impressive.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

I like your flyer.  Says a lot in a few words.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Looks like the "plunge" will work nicely for you. smiley_thumbsup

Continue to get as much exposure as possible and also print out some business cards.  Everyone will not need sawing now, but they will remember.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Good luck with the business!  As MM says, cards are a must.  Word of mouth is very important, and it will take a while for the word to get out.  Check for listings on CraigsList too-- it will also help you see who your competition is.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!