iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash baseboard/casing

Started by busenitzcww, April 18, 2021, 10:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

My brother is building a new house and asked if I would make trim out of some trees off of my dad's creek so we milled a bunch of ash last summer, air dried to 15% stuck it in the kiln, faced it, planed it, ripped it to width, edge profiled it and then ran it though the wide belt. There's a reason it's not smart to try and make your own trim without the proper tools. We've handled each board probably close to 12 times through a machine. Sawdust piles everywhere. But there is just something cool about making your own trim! 

Larry

Quote from: busenitzcww on April 18, 2021, 10:06:33 PMBut there is just something cool about making your own trim!
I might have done that once or maybe three or four times. :D

Most of the times I even made the knives for a Belsaw or Williams & Hussy.  The picture is my last time and the lumber all came from within a 100 yards of the house.

Lets see a picture when completed.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

alan gage

Looks great!

I'm currently doing the same with white oak. Yes, lots of handling and sorting and stuffing through various machines and mess but it's worth it.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Don P

I consider myself more of a framer than trim carpenter, my tastes are pretty basic. I like to mostly just show off the wood but I do enjoy it when asked.

farmfromkansas

Don, that reminds me of a job we did one time, this crazy house had a "bridge" across the living room, with railings on both sides, and 2nd floor bedrooms at each end of the bridge. Also an open stair at one end. Ceiling of the living room was 2 stories high.  Guy who lives there has gotten the house on fire 2 times since he has lived there, once got the siding on fire by burning the grass, the second time he burned the grass and the fire went up a pine tree and got the roof on fire. They saved it both times, but 2nd fire required rebuilding the roof.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Don P

Yup, that's what this one had, the girls' rooms at opposite ends of the bridge upstairs, master on the main floor. Wine cellar in the basement I did in ambrosia maple and a cedar sauna, which made a good kiln (I guess the statute of limitations is up for abusing the sauna :D)

Stephen1

Looks great guys. 
I am putting together 3 different woods for my new house,  cherry and walnut and 1/4 sawn oak for the flooring, t&g pine log siding. Maple for the kitchen pantry. Maple cupboards for the future. 
It is a lot of work. 
My wood will go to a planing shop for the siding and flooring
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!