iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reduced Tail Swing/Zero Tail Swing Excavators in the Woods

Started by wfcjr, December 29, 2014, 07:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

Have decided upon an excavator size for working the woods & doing other projects on our property.   Now trying to figure out whether to go with reduced/zero tail swing or a conventional tail excavator.  The zero models will overhang the tracks by only 6" or when the upper is swung sideways over the tracks.  The conventional will overhang by nearly 3 feet. 

Part of me says go with the zero swing it will save both trees and the back of the machine from dents & damage.  Another part of me says that if it is too tight to turn the machine in the rear, there are likely obstacles to the front as well.  So if I take care, take my time and pay attention, I can avoid the damage to the rear.

Machine will likely spend at least half of its working time in the woods.
Some in clearings, some in cleanup and maintenance of roads/trails.

If anyone has experience operating the zero tail swing or reduced radius machines in the woods, would appreciate your perspective.

Corley5

I had a Hitachi EX150 with a processer head.  Now I have a Fabtek 133 which has minimal tail swing.  It's much better suited to the woods than the Hitachi was.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

My 490 with the processor has the regular tail swing, yes now and then I have bumped a tree, usually when I was trying to do something I probably should not have been doing.  Other than a small bark scrape, and not every time, I can't say I damaged anything. I guess it really depends on how wide you intend you trails and such to be and how deep your pockets are. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

wfcjr

Quote from: Southside logger on December 29, 2014, 08:18:30 PM
My 490 with the processor has the regular tail swing, yes now and then I have bumped a tree, usually when I was trying to do something I probably should not have been doing.  Other than a small bark scrape, and not every time, I can't say I damaged anything. I guess it really depends on how wide you intend you trails and such to be and how deep your pockets are.

Not any wider, nor any deeper than they need to be.

Seriously, trying to keep logging trails to logging trail status, not boulevard status.  But don't want to spend the extra $$ if it is not going to provide a material advantage.

Thanks, very helpful... The tail swing radius (7' 2") on your 490 looks to be about the same as on the conventional swing machine we are looking at.

Andy1981

I use a bobcat 435, which is zero tail swing and about 11,000 pounds so it is a good size mini . It has plenty of power for its size dug out several stumps hardwood and soft wood , I have 3 buckets 18", 30" and 48" ditch, and hydrualic thumb, it gets used in woods maintaining trails on my property, I use it as much or more than my dozer a jd 350b with winch. And it's small enough that I can get it out of a mud hole with the dozer, not that that happens much. And having a blade is a nice feature for finishing off work.
I have hilly terrain and mostly clay soil and the rubber tracks do well though not as well as steel, but I use it only when it's dry time of year.
On the minis the zero tail swing tend to have a wider stance than a conventional so it gives you alot more stability on slopes .
And a machine of this size can be moved with a pickup and gooseneck trailer if needed

Corley5

If you're thinning then zero tail swing is the way to go.  With ZTS you can work 360 degrees. With a conventional machine you're limited to a fairly narrow window to the front of the machine to avoid damaging trees on either side.  In well stocked northern hardwood timber anyway. 
  This was when the Fabtek was delivered and the Hitachi was hauled away.  There's no comparison between ZTS and conventional.  The EX150 I believe is basically the same machine as the JD490.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!