iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know this bird?

Started by scgargoyle, October 13, 2012, 04:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskers

Could it be a Mileormore bird? They can be heard late at night while out Snipe huntin'. :) 
many irons in the fire.........

Mooseherder

Is there anyway for you to record it and put it on here?

clww

I'm inclined towards either a woodpecker or a heron of some variation. What about an owl? They do come out during the day, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

scgargoyle

I do have woodpeckers around here- there was one hammering on the barn the other day. The calls I found on-line don't sound anything like it, though. Must be a woodpecker that got clogged up with grits. :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Weekend_Sawyer

I always thought the pileated call sounded like it was chuckling as it flew through the woods.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

pesaventoc

The first time I heard a piliated woodpecker I thought it sounded very much like the gutteral sound of a great blue heron. A raspy grackkk. Most of the sounds you hear and are recorded are of them perched, but when they fly and are startled they make a different sound. the closest I've found is the first recording of fledglings at www.musicofnature.org/authors/marie-read/  This isn't the same but it gives you an idea of the variety of sounds a pileated woodpecker can make.   
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

SwampDonkey

There is also variation in sound by region. We have bobolink here and I know their songs well. The ones I here recorded as similar but not the same as ours. I know they are migratory like herons and such, but they sound a little different anyway. Hey why not? You've never been to Newfoundland have you? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

1270d

Do you have sandhill cranes there?  Could be one of those noisy beasts

Thank You Sponsors!