iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler 5036 - How to winterize

Started by Old Forester, September 10, 2018, 11:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forester

Have a CB 5036 about 8 years old.  Would like to winterize it for part of winter while I am gone.   Is there a antifreeze I can add that will keep it from freezing if I shut down the circulating pump, or would it be better to drain the system and blow the lines out and refilling the system later in the winter and replacing the conditioner needed for the system.

Had some surgery last winter, couldn't lift anything heavy, so just let the system run/circulate, using the heat from my propane furnace to keep the outdoor portion from freezing up.  Worked well, but turned out to take quite bit of extra propane to keep system from freezing up. Looking for another alternative this winter.  Any thoughts???.

ButchC

Anti freeze would also be a pretty spendy proposition when you consider the volume of the system. I would drain it. I stored my Woodmaster dry for 2 years when we moved. I placed a 100 watt bulb in the the firebox for a couple weeks to drive out the remaining moisture. far as I can tell no damage whatsoever. Manufacturers do not recommend draining, rust quickly develops
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!