iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is a matcher valuable for a small operation?

Started by TKehl, January 30, 2020, 08:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Is a matcher a valuable piece of equipment for a small operation? 

I have a small operation and plan to stay a one man/family operation.  Trying to avoid buying logs and focusing on adding value into what comes off our couple hundred acres of timber + custom cutting and processing.  This is still being setup, but will probably not be full time even when setup.  The idea is to go from tree to trim/flooring/siding/etc.. 

I have a decent amount of equipment already.  2 woodmasters, 30" planer, 24" jointer, an old flat belt moulder, and many smaller pieces.

Would a matcher add value for a small volume operation like mine?  The one in question is 14-18k Lbs and would need 75 HP or so to run well.  Already stretching my limits to physically move and power.  My hunch is the answer is no, but was curious to see if there is something I'm missing before I turned it down.  Seems more like the semi loads a day level where my focus is more of a pickup load operation.   ;)

Better to ask here than OWWM as that group is a bunch of enablers, though I love them for it at the same time.  LOL  "Yes you should buy it, what is it again?"  :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TKehl

No, 4 sided planer.  

I should have clarified...  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

muggs

TKehl

Tractor PTO or stationary diesel engine.

We have one sitting around where near everything is worn out but the engine and PTO.  93 HP at the PTO according to Tractor Data.  Probably a little light compared to the torque of electric, but at slower speeds, it would work.  

Have a 6 cylinder Continental with a hand clutch looking for a job as well...   ::)  :D

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!