iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building An Oven

Started by D L Bahler, February 28, 2017, 12:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D L Bahler

Hey, sorry for not replying sooner. Combination of busyness and travel, havent been on the forums a whole lot lately

The oven is not quite done yet, but hopefully I'll find the time to get to it soon. It's rained so much here lately that it's been hard to get too much done

Fallguy

Do I smell bread? My daughter in law to be asked about your project the other day.

beenthere

Quote from: D L Bahler on March 24, 2017, 03:08:22 PMEarly Monday morning, a bad storm (not on the forecast at all) rolled in and dumped several inches of rain. I hadn't bothered to cover the under-construction oven, as the weather was forecasted clear all weak. The rain washed the sand behind the arch support, allowing the arches to push them side and collapse. The suddenness of all of it allowed the arches to slide into outer wall with enough force to knock it over. SO progress has been delayed as I repair the outer wall of the structure.
From now on, I'll be sure to cover it even if no rain is in the forecast. IT is march in Indiana, after all.

The arches are particularly vulnerable  when under construction. There is not very much holding them up at this point, and add to that that arches of this type are somewhat unstable without any load upon them.
D L Bahler
This build was captivating, and the catastrophic ending as a result of the rain storm was very disappointing indeed. I have often wondered if a second undertaking ever happened? @D L Bahler
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!