iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to kill cherry stumps?

Started by gspren, March 07, 2012, 05:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

We have several small cherry trees that have come up in our shrubs and against some of the pines in our yard and past experience when you cut them off they send shoots up quickly. What can be painted on the stumps when you cut them to kill the cherry whithout killing the shrub?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

rocksnstumps

Ive used a stout mix of generic roundup to treat autumn olive stumps and such applied from a spray bottle. Concentrated product is usually 41% glysophate by volume and I'll mix 50/50 with water. I just try to spray close to the cut end and avoid anything green in the area. Roundup will not translocate like some herbicides might. You might also just try to find some brush killer type product, a name like brush bgone comes to mind. The local farm supply store has it in spray bottles for just small quantities needed.

MHineman

First question is do you have other Cherry trees you want to keep?  If so then using a herbicide can damage the other Cherry trees by "flashback".  That is when the roots of different but same species trees connect.
  If no other Cherry trees to protect, I prefer glyphosate 25% painted or dribbled on the fresh cut stump.  There's no soil activity with this, so no danger to other plants except by contact with the herbicide.
  In the spring it can be very hard to get herbicide control as the rising sap pushes the chemical out.  Late summer, fall, and winter works better as the chemical will be drawn in and kill the roots.
  Other herbicides can move through the soil and have a bad effect on the surrounding plants.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

zopi

Nuclear weapons, apparently. Not fond of black cherry here.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

woodmills1

I have had much luck using #10 cans to cover cut small stumps of unwanted species

cut them and cover with the cans 

next year they send a few so cut and cover again  most times 2 years gone

was poplar I learned this on
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

Use tordon RTU but be careful to not slop it around just paint the outside layer on top of the stump. Never had it kill anything other than what it was put on.

WDH

I have used Tordon as well.  Be careful because unlike Round-up or Garlon, it is soil active.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

shelbycharger400

bore a hole in the center..  fill it full of diesel or oil.  do this a few times..  then gas it and torch it!   fire_smiley
If you have a farmer buddy, im shure they have some farm rated round up!
stepdad usto use round up, and mixed it with gasoline years ago,
  i remember people using lots and lots of drain oil, it worked ok, kinda hard on the environment.   heck, back in the early 80's they usto spray the gravel road with it, it was tar black almost year round!

gspren

The problem with torching or drenching with oil is that one is grown inside a clump of Lilacs and some are under some large pines that are a windbreak in the yard and I don't want to kill anything but the cherry. I want to get some of the Tordon RTU if you don't need a license to buy it and then hope I don't kill the lilac, or I'll be in deep stuff with the woman. >:(
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

shelbycharger400

yea, you would...  chances are you will kill the lilac with the spray

go with the can method!!!

Norm

It is not restricted and the rtu comes in a bottle with a pop up head. I've never had it travel from the stump but I'd sure hate to see you lose the lilacs if it did in your case. I'd go with some glysophate full strength just in case.

Al_Smith

If you have enough stump sticking out of the ground put a steel chocker on it and pull it out of the ground .

If they are small enough you just run the chocker over a block of firewood or something to create some lift and up and out it comes .

Then too here's another .Drill the stump full of holes and spread powdered milk over it ,lots of it .Wet it down and cover it with a tarp .In about a week it will grow a crop of mushrooms and in about a year the stump will be gone .I doubt it would hurt lilacs but I don't advise eating the mushrooms .

WDH

I would not put Tordon in a flower bed.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I don't know, either Tordon or run the lawn mower through.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clam77

Farm grade Malathion works good if you can still get it anywhere.  But again it'll be rough on the shrubs if it transfers..   :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

beenthere

Clam77
Isn't Malathion an insecticide? Seems I recall mixing it in with the orchard spray back in the day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clam77

It's meant to be yeah but I can remember ringing thorn trees out on the pasture ground and spraying that stuff mixed with diesel on them... killed them in under a month every time. 

Also remember using 2-4-D... that stuff is nasty as well.  I don't think I'd use either one in his situation though... don't wanna chance it leeching.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!