iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Orange streak story.

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 28, 2020, 01:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Some of you may know this but I haven't officially said so on the forum, but I'm retiring (somewhat).
I have sold the sawmill yard in MA and I have sold my house in southern NH. And we are having a new house built in NC.
My wife has three grown children with husbands and wives and 5 grandchildren all living in NC within 15 miles of each other.  And our new house will be right in the middle of all of them.
So, if you were on RT 495 in MA or RT 290, 90, RT 84 in CT RT 91 or 95, Rt795 in NC, Rt 70, 258, 24, 17 or 210 this past Sunday, you saw an orange streak pass by you.
That was me and my Woodmizer sawmill.
I hauled the sawmill some 900 miles south. And when I get set up down there I will be only doing on site jobs, following in the footsteps of Magic Man, in that the customer will have to provide a helper to carry away the lumber and slabs.
Many years ago, I purchased a 6' bed extension to use to make long timbers and lumber. I needed to take that with me, as well. I could have taken all four legs off the extension and slid it into my pickup truck but that would mean very little room for anything else to go.
So, I decided I'd place it on the sawmill itself, after taking off the legs. Well, I managed to set it on the mill with the legs still on using my bobcat forklift.
shown here:

And after blocking it up with a 1 1/2" thick piece of oak, I strapped it all down so it would not wiggle around and the legs won't rub the ground coming in and out of gas stations.
Here are some of the photos of the straps:

Except for the fact that it was raining from Baltimore, MD south the ride went ok. The mill bed extension is still on the mill bed as the bobcat is in MA with me to use to clean up the sawmill yard of all old logs and lumber. Once that is done then the bobcat and I will be traveling south again.
Jim Rogers
PS, I made a stop in CT on the way north yesterday.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Southside

Congratulations Jim. What part of NC? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Yes, same here. Congrats! Enjoy this time.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Southside on October 28, 2020, 01:44:34 PM
Congratulations Jim. What part of NC?
Near Jacksonville, a little spot known as Sneads Ferry.
Jim Rogers

Magicman

Congratulations Jim!!  8)

I was wondering about that 900 mile trip with the sawmill and also visiting Logrite??  ???  Also congratulations on the new business profile.  It sometimes has challenges but none that can not be overcome, plus you just saws um and leaves um.  ;D

I am having to decline jobs because I can not get to them within the customer's time frame.  I had to say no to what would have been a very nice Cypress job last night.  That one hurt because it was only 15 miles from the Cabin, plus being Cypress.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

51cub

Congratulations Jim! Enjoy it!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Southside

That sure puts you a lot closer to Jakes place come spring!!  You pass by about 30 minutes east of my place when you are at the 295/95 or 85/95 convergence south of Richmond if you need anything during your travels.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

Congratulations Jim.  Slowing down is nice, you'll be able to set the pace that works for you and your family.  Being near family will be a benefit, and moving 900 miles south should mean much nicer winters.  :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on October 28, 2020, 03:35:20 PM
and moving 900 miles south should mean much nicer winters.  :)
In NH my wife drove a school bus. She parked it in our driveway. If it snowed at night, I'd have to go out in the morning and use a roof rake and take all the snow off the roof of the school bus. She would get a ticket if any snow fell on a car following her. Not the bus company.
I won't miss doing that at all.
Jim Rogers

Don P

I haven't been through there in years but mighty close to some good fishing. Dad was stationed in MA and got stuck there doing work after he got out, same opinion of winter. We packed up, headed back to NC and never looked back :D.

Sedgehammer

Hate winter. Should've mover further south, but here is far better then in WI. Can't even remotely blame you for moving. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Congratulations on leaving a grit deprived area for one of greater sustenance. My last tour was there at CLNC and we left July 1990. We still have several dear friends down there. One lady and her beau do the groundskeeping at CLNC and they were thrilled when they saw my mill and were wondering if there were any around them. He has retired but she is still working there. I will give them your contact info. Send me your contact info by PM when you get set up and I will pass it along to them.  
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Wait... Jim was streaking?!...   Oh, not that kind.... :D :D :D

Glad you made it.  900 miles with the mill is a long one.  Did you have a spare for the mill with you?  My 5th trip with my mill and I got a flat with no spare (I lived dangerously, but who'd have thought with so few miles I'd get a flat?).  Found a great tow company late on a Sunday night in rural Indiana who fixed me up with spare rim and tire.

I hope you and locals will be able to understand each other through the strong MASS accent and the NC accents?!  You know they are all going to ask where you are from..

Sounds like a great move.  I hope when you build that you will get some timbers in that house?
Wishing you all the best.
Brad
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

samandothers

Glad you had safe travels! 

You will be almost surrounded by Marines!  We use to go to Top Sail Island quite often as our summer vacation.  It is just a bit south of there.  Away from the frozen stuff but now you can watch hurricanes more closely.

stanmillnc

I moved from MA to NC 16 years ago. Didn't mind winter in MA until I experienced the sunny south. Now that I know better, I would never move back up North. You'll love the winter here, it's pretty much just like a long New England fall season and you can work comfortably outside year round. As a New Englander, it takes some time to adjust to the South as there are many differences, but in my opinion it's all positive - congrats and enjoy!

thecfarm

Wish you luck Jim. Family is important!! I guess you won't be coming to the woods expo in Bangor in May?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patrick NC

Welcome to NC. I moved here from the north country of upstate New York in 1998. I'm in western NC, but I've worked around Jacksonville a good bit. I've got some cousins that live over that way. Enjoy your "retirement ". 
FYI- we don't get much snow, but it's raining and the wind is blowing about 40mph right now. But it's 70 degrees 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Bruno of NH

Jim
We will miss you in the area and your visits to my mill yard.
I know you won't miss the snow.
I'm happy for you.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ed_K

Way to go Jim 8). Just remember there is no such thing as retirement :D.
Ed K

scsmith42

Jim, welcome to NC!  Snead's Ferry is about 2.5 hours from me, so hopefully you won't be a stranger.  

Are you planning to build a timberframe or go with a conventional house?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Wudman

Stop by and visit this Snead's Ferry wisteria vine. My wife and I get down there pretty regularly.  She would live there permanently if I would quit the job and move.  Keep you some high ground somewhere to the west.  Those nor'easters can be a dog.

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sprucebunny

Congratulations on making the move !!!

I was trying really hard to buy a house in W. NC in January but then there was this virus.

I gather the real estate market is as competitive there as here. Much as I wish I'd been able to move to somewhere with a milder winter, I have things going on that would have meant lots of driving back and forth so I bought a different house here (which is a competitive market also )

Enjoy the winter and new work plan  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

tree-farmer

Welcome to NC.  In my opinion that's the wrong end of the state but you're getting closer. ;D ( I'm a Western NC native so I may be biased) 
Come on up to the mountains when you get settled and have time. However you should at least be able to get a decent bowl of grits and some sweet ice tea ever down there in the flat lands. 
I spent (1) winter in the mountains of Western Mass. so I know you will find the weather down here much more agreeable. Water behaves much better down here.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

dgdrls

A new chapter Jim,

congratulations, you're moving to a beautiful area,
gonna have to get used to sawing those
southern species,

Best
D

Thank You Sponsors!