iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Cookie-Mizer!!!

Started by Ljohnsaw, March 22, 2021, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

WOW!  Just saw the ad for this in the banner and watched the video.  That looks like a nice addition to their lineup!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

justallan1

Please know that I'm certainly not knocking Woodmizer or any of their products.

I made a clamp system for my mill that I can clamp down logs sitting vertical, horizontal and mainly round or oddball shaped pieces.
I made if for sawing burls and later started using it for sawing cookies as well.
Basically it has two stops that only adjust up and down and a third that slides sideways to the mill with a clamp at the top. The two stops can drop below the tracks and never have to leave the mill, but the clamping arm has to be removed to saw regular logs because I made it about 1/2" to tall. Loosening one thumbscrew lets you remove it.
I added a crossmember to the factory tracks, but could have made an entire bolt on assembly.
Other than a little welding wire, everything was dug out of the scrap pile.
Yes, I should have thrown a little paint at it. :D
Sorry about the crappy pictures.

terrifictimbersllc

I can't take an extra 130# table with me routinely on portable jobs nice as it would be. I can cut cookies  without any device just by placing the short log in the clamping bay. Once flat the remaining smaller piece can be cut accurately to the end using any board on hand and several small blocks screwed down with torx deck screws which I always carry.

If I cut stationary it might be different. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Three 2X4's will also work.

I clamp them as Dennis described above or as I clamped this odd chunk last week. 

Of course I only custom saw so when a customer wants a few cookies, I use whatever is available and the customer has always been happy and I never charge for knocking out a few cookies. 

This was a funny story.  I had just finished sawing for a customer when this lady rode by with her husband and saw the sawmill.  She is in the decorating business and needed some cookies but she had no logs.  Neither I nor my customer actually knew her nor her husband.  What to do?  My customer had a couple of junky logs that he was not going to have sawn so he drug them out.  I clamped them up and asked her how think she wanted the cookies.  We loaded them into the back of their truck and she wanted to know "how much"?  No charge.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!